homepage logo

Man in NY jail pleads guilty to Nashua burglary

By Dean Shalhoup - Senior Staff Writer | Sep 10, 2019

NASHUA – Already in the process of serving what a prosecutor called “a lengthy sentence” behind bars in the state of New York, former Nashua resident Shane R. Hirth agreed Monday to serve an additional sentence of one year as part of a plea deal.

Hirth, 29, most recent address of 2 New Haven Drive, pleaded guilty to one count of felony burglary Monday afternoon in exchange for the one-year jail sentence, which he will serve concurrently, meaning at the same time as, his New York sentence.

Where exactly in New York Hirth is incarcerated, and what charges led to his being sentenced, were not discussed in court. However, Assistant County Attorney Lisa Drescher, said Hirth’s earliest release date is in 2022.

“We discussed possible stand-committed and deferred (jail) time,” Drescher said of negotiations with Hirth’s attorney, Michael Davidow, on the plea agreement.

They decided since Hirth was already serving time that a one-year, concurrent sentence would be appropriate.

She also said that leading up to the July 2016 burglary charge to which Hirth pleaded guilty Monday, he had accumulated 15 convictions for a variety of offenses, including credit card fraud, unlawful possession and distribution of prescription drugs, theft and misdemeanor offenses like resisting arrest or detention.

Davidow, Hirth’s attorney, said that before going to jail in New York, Hirth had been in a Salvation Army-based treatment program in Florida.

He said Monday’s sentence is appropriate, mainly because Hirth can remain in the same jail where, Davidow said, “there are very good programs” available to his client.

Among them are a six-month residential treatment program called ASAT – Alcohol and Substance Abuse Treatment – in which Hirth is participating.

In accepting the plea deal, Judge Jacalyn Colburn told Hirth she hopes he will turn things around once he’s served his time and is released from jail.

“For a fairly young guy, you’ve racked up a pretty lengthy record in a short time,” she said.

Hirth said he seems to be on the right path.

“I’ve done a lot of growing up in the past year or so,” he told Colburn.

The burglary charge to which Hirth pleaded guilty Monday stems from a July 2016 break-in at a gas station in the 500 block of Amherst Street.

Police investigating the incident viewed security video of the building, which showed a man gain access by prying open a door, according to Drescher.

Police found a knife and other items outside a nearby apartment complex during their investigation, she said.

Meanwhile, employees of the gas station, shown images of the security video, recognized the man as a frequent customer who often came in with a woman who lived nearby.

They identified him as Hirth, prompting police to issue a warrant for his arrest. Drescher said police eventually caught up with him and took him into custody.

Nearly a year later, on May 10, 2017, while he was apparently out on bail in the burglary case, Hirth was arrested by Merrimack police on a warrant they issued in connection with a February 2017 assault in that town.

Hirth was charged with two counts of simple assault and one count of criminal mischief, all misdemeanors, accusing him of entering a residence on Garnet Lane in the middle of the night and attacking a woman.

He reportedly grabbed her hair and “dragged her around the residence,” causing physical injuries to her and ripping her clothing, police said.

Hirth had fled before police arrived, but eventually, with the assistance of Nashua police, they located him and took him into custody.

Dean Shalhoup may be reached at 594-1256, dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com, or @Telegraph_DeanS.


Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.