New Hampshire bill would require restaurant allergy training
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A House bill in New Hampshire would establish new regulations at restaurants regarding food allergies.
The proposed law was inspired by the death of a 20-year-old University of New Hampshire student in April. Rachel Hunger went out to eat with friends and wasn’t aware that an egg roll she ate contained peanuts, WMUR-TV reported.
She went into cardiac arrest and died 18 days later.
The bill would require that someone at every restaurant be certified and trained in food allergies. It would also require restaurants to post notices that it’s up to the customer to inform the food server that they have a particular allergy.
Supporters of the bill, which was scheduled to be reviewed by House committees this week, say added costs would be minimal.
A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services testified that additional training would cost $100 to $150.