×
×
homepage logo
LOGIN
SUBSCRIBE

New charges filed against Kayla Montgomery; accused of perjury

By Jeffrey Hastings - Special to The Telegraph | Jun 6, 2022

(Photo by JEFFREY HASTINGS) Court officers escort Kayla Montgomery into Superior Court several weeks ago for a hearing on her bail status. She was later released on bond, but is now facing perjury charges.

MANCHESTER — Kayla Montgomery, the former wife of Adam Montgomery, the former Manchester man whose daughter has been missing since 2019, is facing new charges on which she was arrested late last week.

Officers arrested Montgomery at police headquarters when she showed up for her daily check-in, a court-ordered condition of her bail, police said.

She is charged with two counts of perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury. Arrested Friday, Montgomery was transported to Valley Street jail — where she had served about four months until she was released on an unsecured bond a month ago. She is scheduled to be arraigned today in Superior Court.

Montgomery hasn’t been charged in connection with the missing-persons case involving Harmony Montgomery, who has been the focus of a widespread, multi-agency investigation since October 2021.

Kayla Montgomery was earlier charged with theft by deception, accusing her of claiming, on state welfare benefit paperwork, that Harmony Montgomery was a member of her household even though the girl was not living with her and Adam Montgomery at the time.

Prosecutors said Kayla Montgomery claimed more than $1,500 in benefits to which she was not entitled.

Adam Montgomery, Harmony’s father, is also facing charges unrelated to the girl’s disappearance. He remains incarcerated as his case proceeds in court.

–JEFFREY HASTINGS