homepage logo

Police get Holman theft suspect

By Dean Shalhoup - Senior Staff Writer | Nov 25, 2019

NASHUA – In the early morning hours of Friday, a week after police began getting almost daily calls from Holman Stadium employees reporting overnight break-ins and thefts, officers caught and arrested a suspect.

Police said around 1:30 a.m. Friday, members of the department’s Problem Oriented Policing (POP) Unit located Nathan Nugent, 19, of Nashua, where they thought they might find him – within the confines of Historic Holman Stadium, 67 Amherst St.

Nugent, who currently lists no fixed address, allegedly admitted during a post-arrest police interview to “entering (the stadium) several times and (allegedly) stealing multiple items,” according to Assistant County Attorney Brett Harpster, the prosecutor at Nugent’s Superior Court bail hearing Monday.

Police charged Nugent with three counts of burglary, Class B felonies, and two counts of criminal trespass and one count of criminal mischief, Class A misdemeanors.

The charges accuse Nugent of “entering the secured property at Holman Stadium without permission on multiple occasions,” police said.

The burglary charges stem from allegations that Nugent, on three occasions, entered buildings on the property with the purpose to steal things, police said.

Almost every morning beginning Nov. 16, someone from the stadium called police to report an overnight break-in, theft, or damage, or a combination thereof, according to Harpster’s account of the allegations.

On Nov. 18, Harpster said, stadium personnel called police to report an electric ATV “went missing” overnight from a garage.

On another occasion, Cameron Cook, the general manager of the Nashua Silver Knights baseball team, called police after discovering someone entered the team’s clubhouse and stole a pair of baseball cleats and some athletic tape – along with a quantity of Ibuprofen, two water bottles and a bottle of sink cleaner.

A call to police around 6:30 a.m. Thursday was made after stadium personnel discovered a glass door to a suite-box had been shattered, and food was missing, as were a radio and a flat-screen TV, police said.

Harpster, meanwhile, cited allegations that Nugent “repeatedly broke into Holman Stadium” while out on bail on other charges in asking Judge Charles Temple to set Nugent’s bail at $25,000 cash or surety, and that he be ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from the stadium.

He said Nugent is out on bail on misdemeanor charges filed in Nashua district court in August and September, accusing Nugent of criminal mischief and with facilitating an underage party.

Attorney Ilana Abramson, a public defender who represented Nugent at Monday’s hearing, said Nugent had been living with his mother and sister until he recently became homeless.

But he has since “reconciled with his mom … she is ready for him to come home,” Abramson told the court. “And he wants to go home.”

She asked Temple for personal recognizance bail, and said Nugent would agree to home confinement or electronic monitoring if released.

After asking Nugent’s mother – who was in court Monday – a couple of questions, Temple agreed to release Nugent on personal recognizance on the condition of home confinement and a 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. curfew.

He must also continue treatment at Greater Nashua Mental Health Center, and undergo a mental health assessment.

The conditions will be monitored at periodic bail review hearings, Temple added.

Dean Shalhoup may be reached at 594-1256, or at dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com.


Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.