homepage logo

Man allegedly damages cars on two-day spree

By Dean Shalhoup - Senior Staff Writer | Aug 20, 2019

NASHUA – Less than 48 hours after Tyler Desclos allegedly poured liquid tar on numerous vehicles at a city apartment complex, he reportedly damaged even more cars by running across their roofs and hoods.

Desclos, 21, was released on personal recognizance bail after his first arrest on Aug. 15. He was jailed following the second arrest in the early morning hours of Aug. 17, appeared before a Superior Court judge Monday for a bail hearing.

He faces two charges from each alleged incident: One count each of felony criminal mischief and misdemeanor theft from the first incident, and one count each of criminal mischief and breach of bail, both felonies, from the second.

Judge Charles Temple on Monday granted Assistant County Attorney Brett Harpster’s request that Desclos be held on preventive detention, but added the court would consider modifying bail to personal recognizance if Desclos is accepted into a substance use disorder treatment program.

Regarding Desclos’s first arrest Aug. 15, police said they began an investigation when a resident of the Riverview Gardens Apartments, a complex near Coliseum Avenue along the Nashua River, called around 7 a.m. to report someone “poured a black, tarry substance” on her property sometime overnight.

Harpster on Monday said police looked around the complex and found the same substance on various other property, including eight cars, throughout the complex.

Officers viewed surveillance video from the area, which showed a young, smallish man “shaking a container” of the black substance. Police said officers found people familiar with Desclos, and they identified him as the person in the video.

Officers learned that Desclos was at a friend’s apartment in the complex the previous evening, but the friend said he told Desclos to leave when he allegedly became belligerent.

Police then learned from a manager at the nearby Home Depot store that a person matching Desclos’s description allegedly stole a case of the black, tarry substance the previous night.

Harpster said when police questioned Desclos, he reportedly told them he was drinking and didn’t remember anything from the night before.

Based on the evidence, police arrested Desclos, booked him at headquarters then released him on personal recognizance bail.

As for the second incident in which Desclos is charged, police were called around 1 a.m. Saturday to the area of 41 Congress St. by residents reporting “disorderly subjects jumping on cars” in the apartment complex parking lot.

Harpster said police identified three suspects, two of whom pointed to the third suspect as the person witnesses saw allegedly jumping on cars.

Police later identified the suspect as Desclos, according to Harpster. When police spoke with Desclos, he allegedly admitted to being there, but denied he was damaging vehicles.

Harpster said police found 11 cars that sustained “minor to major damage … well over $1,500,” he said, referring to the amount at which a misdemeanor becomes a felony.

The date of Desclos’s next court appearance is pending.

Dean Shalhoup may be reached at 594-1256, dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com, or @Telegraph_DeanS.


Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.