Nashuan arrested Sunday released on bail

Man accused of profane, racist tirade and threatening police

NASHUA – While patrolling Main Street early Sunday morning, a police officer said loud shouting, infused with profanities and racial slurs, caught his attention as he passed East Pearl Street.

The ruckus was coming from a sidewalk, the officer said in his report, and upon investigating, he found the source – an allegedly intoxicated man he later identified as 32-year-old Juan Nunez, a Nashua resident currently living at 35 1/2 Vine St.

After allegedly taking exception to being arrested – he allegedly told the arresting officer, “I’ll break your (expletive) neck” – and after a rather tumultuous booking process, Nunez would spend the next 36 hours in jail awaiting his arraignment.

That procedure, conducted in Nashua district court via video conference from Valley Street jail, took place Monday morning, with Judge James Leary presiding.

In all, Nunez was charged with, and arraigned on, five misdemeanor offenses, including two counts each of criminal threatening and resisting arrest or detention, and one count of disorderly conduct.

Nunez entered pleas of not guilty to all five charges, and Leary scheduled a pre-trial conference for July 8 in the Nashua court.

After hearing from a police prosecutor, who recommended Nunez be kept on preventive detention. Leary set his bail at $300 cash, on the condition that he remain on good behavior and stay away from alcohol, illegal drugs and possess no firearms.

A man who identified himself as Nunez’s twin brother, who was present for the hearing, posted his bail early Monday afternoon.

In his report, the officer who arrested Nunez cited the alleged threat to break the officer’s neck, as well as another allegation accusing Nunez of telling the officer, “I’ll knock your teeth down your throat,” according to the report.

In between, Nunez allegedly resisted arrest by “stopping his stride, stiffening his arms, and pushing his body back into me, causing me to need to take him to the ground to control him,” the officer wrote.

Nunez allegedly remained vocal during the transport to police headquarters, and once at the station, allegedly “refused to comply with the booking process.”

While escorting him to a holding cell, police said Nunez “refused to walk,” forcing officers to “move him” toward the cell.

He then allegedly tried to thwart officers’ attempts to put him in the cell by “putting his foot on the wall” and wedging himself between the wall and the cell,” the reports state.

“Juan had to be taken down again before being secured in his cell,” police wrote.

A bail commissioner on duty at the time noted in Nunez’s initial bail order that he was “extremely impaired … belligerent, disrespectful,” and at one point he allegedly urinated in the corner of the holding cell.

He also allegedly rattled the cell door and “shadow-boxed” the cell walls, which, police said, prompted them to move Nunez to a padded cell for his safety.