From The Telegraph files
For most Nashuans, the first thought that would probably come to mind when taking a quick look at this watery scene might be something like, "oh, that must be the Nashua River during the Flood of 1936." Well, that's half-right. The swollen waterway is indeed the Nashua River, but this flood occurred in 1900. The rapids visible in the foreground were probably created as the current of the river approached the Jackson Falls dam, which the photographer was standing at, or close to, when he took the photo. The large building at left, one of several damaged or destroyed in the Main Street Bridge fire of 1924, is where the Telegraph's former home at 60 Main St. was built in 1928-29. What looks like a black line at center of photo is the bridge that burned down in 1924. The upper story of the boathouse is visible at right; Peddlers Daughter is on that site today. And the church in the background is at the corner of Main and Franklin streets.
(From The Telegraph files)
SIGN UP TO CONTINUE
Print Subscriber? Sign Up for Full Access!
Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.
Digital subscribers receive
Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess