From The Telegraph files
Referred to in its early years as "The Little Brown Church on the Hill," a slogan borrowed (and slightly modified) from the mid-19th-century folk song "The Church in the Wildwood," which referred to "The Little Brown Church in the Vale," which, by coincidence, was, and is, located just outside of the town of Nashua, Iowa, the Arlington Street United Methodist Church has been the center of spiritual life in the city's Crown Hill section for more than a century. The parish itself was founded several years earlier, in 1892, when the Rev. C. W. Rowley, pastor of the Main Street Methodist Church, began holding prayer services in Crown Hill homes and halls. The church survived Nashua's "disaster decade" relatively unscathed; the great Crown Hill fire of 1930 was headed its way, but a wind shift saved the day, and neither the '36 flood or the '38 hurricane presented any serious threat.
(From The Telegraph files)
SIGN UP TO CONTINUE
Print Subscriber? Sign Up for Full Access!
Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.
Digital subscribers receive
Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess