×
×
homepage logo
LOGIN
SUBSCRIBE

Bishop Guertin junior one of two NH students selected for U.S. Senate Youth Program

By Dean Shalhoup - Senior Staff Reporter | Dec 4, 2021

Matthew Blair, Manchester Central High School

CONCORD — Warren Chen, a junior at Bishop Guertin High School described by his teachers as “a friendly, true leader whose contributions inspire others,” has been selected for the 60th annual U.S. Senate Youth Program, according to state Education Commissioner Frank Edelblut.

The other student selected for the program is Matthew Blair, a Manchester Central High School senior who is currently at the top of his class with a 4.0 GPA.

“The U.S. Senate Youth Program provides a chance for high school students to look inside our federal government and explore potential studies in political science and history,” according to Edelblut.

“Matthew and Warren now have a tremendous opportunity to represent New Hampshire in this highly competitive program that could guide them to a future in public service.”

Blair and Chen were selected by a panel of judges who evaluated the pool of top students nominated by principals throughout the state, according to Department of Education spokeswoman Kimberly Houghton.

Warren Chen, Bishop Guertin High School

Both students will receive a $10,000 college scholarship for undergraduate study, and they will represent the Granite State in an intensive, virtual study of the federal government, Houghton said.

Matthew Pemberton, a junior at Bedford High School, and Max Aframe, a senior at Hopkinton High School, were chosen as alternates for this year’s program.

Chen, meanwhile, serves as Bishop Guertin’s junior communications officer, a role he also held during his sophomore year. He “has thrived in a challenging program of study during his high school years, and has contributed greatly to the school community while engaging and collaborating with everyone,” according to his principal.

Blair has served as class president since his sophomore year. He is also editor-in-chief of Central’s school newspaper, The Little Green; is a co-captain of the boys varsity hockey team; the drum major; and a member of the National Honor Society. Blair has “dedicated his high school career to both a high standard of academic achievement and service to his community,” according to his principal.

The scholarships presented to Chen and Blair are provided by the Hearst Foundations, which has fully funded the program since its creation in 1962. More than 5,700 students have participated, including former Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey and U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg.

Dean Shalhoup may be reached at 594-1256 or dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com.

Newsletter

Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.

Interests
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *