Londonderry knocks Post 79 out of Legion tourney

NASHUA – Tom Corey had a prediction for his Londonderry Post 27 baseball teammates before Sunday’s American Legion senior tournament game against Manchester Post 79.

The right-hander told his team he’d get it eight innings in his first tournament start.

Corey did more than that, going 8 2/3 innings to help lead Londonderry to a 3-2 victory over Post 79 in the third game of the day at Holman Stadium. The win means Post 27 will return on Monday to take on the winner of Sunday’s late game between Concord and Goffstown.

"Tom Corey pitched a gem," Londonderry coach Rick Brothers said. "He had just a great game. This was the longest he’s ever pitched. The longest I’ve used him is five or six innings. He showed up and we made some big hits and had good defense."

Corey scattered nine hits and three walks while striking out six before being lifted with two out and two on base in the ninth. Keith Simpson got Post 79’s Travis Sylvia to fly out to end the game.

"I was a little nervous, but I calmed myself down after the first few," Corey said. "I was able to locate my fastball really well, and my changeup, too. Then I worked the curveball in from there. The defense came through for us."

Kasey Carollo and Rob Delsignore both had two hits for Londonderry, and the pair played a role in scoring the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth on a play that was anything but conventional.

With the bases loaded and one out in the inning, Carollo hit a fly ball to shallow right field. Manchester’s Zach Mistopoulos came in and appeared to make the catch, but the ball came out of his glove. Delsignore tagged up and raced home as Mistopoulos threw to second base.

At first, it appeared the umpires ruled there was no catch and a force out was made at second. But after conferring, the three-man crew ruled that Mistopoulos made the catch, lost the ball on the transfer but completed a double play because the runner at second left early.

The inning was over, and the umpires waved off the run, drawing Brothers onto the field. After more discussion, the run was put back on the board.

"The ball was called a catch and dropped on the transfer," Brothers said. "The guy at third tagged and scored and they appealed at second base because the runner left early. They called him out."

The win means Londonderry (10-7), which lost to Concord in its first game on a passed ball and knocked out defending-champion Bedford, will be among the final four teams left in the tournament.

"We haven’t won a thing yet, and I just told them that," Brothers said. "It was a great game and the kids played hard."