Thank you, firefighters

A firefighter’s job is never easy, but when faced with subzero wind chills, the task becomes even more burdensome.

In addition to firefighters having to endure the brutal cold, which could inflict frostbite or even hypothermia, the frigid temperatures complicate the whole process of extinguishing a blaze. Just one example is that even the slightest amount of water leaked from a truck or a hydrant can quickly turn the area into an icy mess, creating very slippery conditions.

Monday, firefighters in three Greater Nashua communities – Hollis, Milford and Pelham – faced blazes with air temperatures in the single digits and wind chills far below zero.

In Hollis, flames caused significant damage to a large building on Proctor Hill Road, which is on the north side of the road just west of the intersection of Routes 130 and 122, known locally as the Four Corners.

The call for the Milford fire very early Tuesday morning, minutes past midnight. Firefighters responded to battle the Crosby Street blaze, which Fire Chief Jack Kelly said may have started in or near a wood stove.

“Conditions were really bad … it was just miserable,” Kelly told our reporter, referring to the frigid temperatures.

In Pelham, crews responded to 434 Mammoth Road just before 9:30 p.m. Monday for what was reported as “an outside fire,” Lt. Robert Horne said.

In responding, firefighters found a barn, roughly 40 feet by 30 feet, engulfed in flames. After an initial attack, they were forced to fight the fire defensively, he said. Unfortunately, three horses perished in the blaze.

We at The Telegraph offer our thanks to these brave and hard-working firefighters. They are a credit to their communities.