Monday, February 27, 2017
My Account  | Login
Nashua-BoireFieldAirport;27.0;;2017-02-27 03:59:56
Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tuesday New Hampshire morning news update

Chesterfield man missing since July 4th

CHESTERFIELD (AP) — New Hampshire authorities are seeking the public's help in trying to find a Chesterfield man who was last seen on July Fourth. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at
Sign up or Login

Chesterfield man missing since July 4th

CHESTERFIELD (AP) — New Hampshire authorities are seeking the public's help in trying to find a Chesterfield man who was last seen on July Fourth.

Police say 61-year-old Ronald "Buddy" Cheever, who suffers from dementia, was last seen walking south on Winchester Road in Chesterfield at about 1:30 p.m. Friday. He was heading toward the 13,000-acre Pisgah state Park.

Fish and Game conservation officers and others searched for Cheever throughout the weekend with no luck.

Cheever is white, 5-foot-7, 180 pounds with gray hair. He was wearing tan shorts, sneakers, a red rain coat and a tan Harley Davidson Motorcycle ball cap.

Hikers in Pisgah State Park and others seeing someone fitting Cheever's description in the general area are asked to call Cheshire County Dispatch at 603-355-2000.

1 fatal, 3,300 vehicle stops over July 4th holiday

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire State Police say there was one fatal motor vehicle crash during the July Fourth holiday weekend.

Police also made over 3,300 vehicle stops, including over 400 citations for speeding and over 1,800 warnings.

Police also issued over 400 citations for other motor vehicle violations and over 40 for driving after suspension. Nearly 80 other criminal arrests were made.

A total of 30 DWI arrests were made.

Searchers, dogs, find missing man in NH forest

JEFFERSON, N.H. (AP) — A combination of teamwork, thermal imaging and search dogs helped rescuers find a 19-year-old autistic man who went missing in the woods for five hours in Jefferson, New Hampshire.

The Fish and Game Department says a dog acquired the track from Route 115 near the Jefferson/Carroll town line and followed it Monday. Articles of clothing were found along the way. The dog eventually lost the track in a swampy area.

Members of the Whitefield Fire Department, who had been using a thermal imager, heard calls for help from Matthew Darr of Lincoln, Maine. They found him about 150 years off of the road in thick vegetation.

Darr suffered from scratches and insect bites, but was otherwise unhurt.

Twin Mountain Fire and Rescue also helped with the search.

White Mountain Forest cabin getting restoration

CARROLL (AP) - One of the oldest structures in the White Mountain National Forest is being restored.

Built by the U.S. Forest Service, Fabyan Guard Station is a one-room log cabin on Cherry Mountain Road in the Bretton Woods area. It was built in 1923 and is the last example of a guard station in the forest.

Employees called forest guards were once stationed in these remote cabins.

HistoriCorps, with sponsorship by the White Mountain National Forest, is repairing the foundation and damaged door, replacing rotten logs and restoring windows.

The work will be led by historic preservation specialists and staffed by military veterans and local volunteers. The project will help preserve the cabin's historic characteristics and ensure it is safe. The project began Monday and is expected to last three weeks.

Woman suffers injuries in Ossipee crash

OSSIPEE (AP) - New Hampshire State Police say a 21- year-old woman has suffered serious injuries when her car collided with another vehicle in Ossipee.

Brittini Desrosiers of Center Ossipee was driving south on Route 16 when her car drifted into the northbound lane and struck a vehicle being driven by 55-year-old Pamela Beaupre of Ossipee. It happened just before 1:30 p.m. on Monday.

Desrosiers was treated at a local hospital and then transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital. Beaupre and her passenger, 60-year-old Janet Harring of Ossipee, were taken to a local hospital. Their conditions were not immediately known.

The accident is being investigated.

Former Manchester officer in hit and run released from jail

MANCHESTER (AP) - A New Hampshire police officer who was sentenced to a year in jail for leaving the scene after he struck two teens with his unmarked police car has been released after less than three months.

WMUR-TV reports ( the jail superintendent released former Manchester police Sgt. Stephen Coco on a daily reporting program requiring him to phone in.

Coco had been charged with conduct after an accident. Prosecutors said he was off-duty on March 22, 2013, when he struck the teens from behind, injuring them.

Coco said he hadn't left home that night, but police said his SUV had front-end damage.

Coco said there's no chance he will re-offend. But state attorneys have challenged the superintendent's decision.

The judge took the matter under advisement and will release a ruling.