Nashuan accused of stabbing to stay in jail

Staff photo by Mathew Plamondon Marques Stanford is taken into preventative detention after his evidentiary bail hearing on Friday. Stanford is accused of stabbing a man near the intersection of Hollis and Main streets in downtown Nashua last week.

NASHUA – Facing charges of first-degree assault and possessing a deadly weapon as a convicted felon related to an alleged Dec. 20 stabbing, 30 year-old city resident Marques Stanford appeared before Judge Jacalyn Colburn at Hillsborough Superior Court-South for an evidentiary bail hearing, Friday.

The alleged stabbing took place late at night near the intersection of Hollis and Main streets in downtown Nashua.

After hearing evidence from three law enforcement officials involved in the apprehension and

investigation of the incident, Assistant County Attorney Brian Greklek-McKeon requested that Stanford be kept in preventative detention. Greklek-McKeon cited both the suspect’s criminal history, as well as his willingness to use deadly force.

“The fact that he is getting in altercations, seen with a knife and allegedly stabbing (the victim) while he is on parole for violent crimes suggest that if he is released on anything other than preventative detention, he will be a danger to the community,” Greklek-McKeon argued.

The prosecution brought multiple law enforcement officials to the stand Friday to help bolster the case against allowing Stanford to walk free. Their witnesses included two of the officers who had responded to the scene and had access to either Stanford or the his alleged victim.

Officer Andrew Othot, who was stopped at a red light directly across the intersection from the incident, said he saw a crowd of five to seven individuals in front of a pizza shop when one of the witnesses flagged him down, making him aware of the stabbing.

Othot told the court after he radioed for backup, he pursued the witness and suspect around the block to a grassy area along East Hollis Street. There, he saw Stanford and witness wrestling. The officer then detained Stanford, and according to Othot, was told by the suspect that he was being chased by three men.

Officer Matthew Alarie, another patrolman, also testified to the events. Alarie, who responded to the call from dispatch, said he when he arrived at the scene, he found the victim holding his left flank where he had been stabbed.

The victim told the officer two individuals allegedly walked into the bar, a black man and a white female, and then they got into an argument regarding music selection. After the two left the establishment, the victim and a friend followed them outside and got into a verbal and physical confrontation. The confrontation ended when Stanford allegedly stabbed the victim his left side.

Other witnesses claimed the reason for the altercation stemmed from the victim and his friend telling Stanford the bar was closing, so he wouldn’t be served.

Defense Attorney Marc Gouthro, who asked Colburn that Stanford be released into the community under supervision, argued the state did not bring forth clear and convincing evidence as to whether the suspect initiated the conflict.

Gouthro also argued his client found himself outnumbered during a confrontation. He also cited the victim’s unwillingness to initially cooperate with the investigation in an effort to shed doubt on that individual’s actions.

“This appears to be an isolated incident,” Gouthro argued to Colburn. “Mr. Stanford did not go into (the pizza shop) looking for a fight. He went in there, and depending which statement you believe, he was in there and there was an argument about last call, or there was an argument about music.”

Colburn, upon hearing the evidence brought by the prosecution’s witnesses, ordered Stanford to remain in preventative detention, agreeing with the points brought up by Greklek-McKeon.

Stanford is next due in court at 9 a.m. Feb. 8 for a dispositional conference.

Mathew Plamondon can be reached at 594-1244, or at mplamondon@nashuatelegraph.com.