News Digest for Dec. 6

Cruz nabbed for alleged drug sales

NASHUA – On Tuesday, the Nashua Police Department arrested Wilfredo Cruz, 43, of no fixed address in Nashua, on two counts of selling heroin. He was held without bail, pending arraignment.

Area man faces suboxone charges

NASHUA – On Tuesday, the Nashua Police Department arrested Robert Bouchard, 31, of 18 Rena Ave. in Hudson, on two counts of selling Suboxone. He was released on personal recognizance.

Griggs arrested on heroin charge

NASHUA – On Tuesday, the Nashua Police Department arrested Michael Griggs, 39, of no fixed address in Nashua, on a single count of heroin possession. He was released on personal recognizance.

Gora nabbed;

released on bond

NASHUA – On Tuesday, the Nashua Police Department arrested John Gora, 43, of no fixed address in Nashua, on a single count of a prostitution related offense. He was released on personal recognizance.

Derochea arrested on meth count

NASHUA – On Tuesday, the Nashua Police Department arrested Gerald Derochea, 35, of no fixed address in Nashua, for possession of methamphetamine. He was released on personal recognizance.

Shurtleff elected House Speaker

CONCORD (AP) – New Hampshire Democratic Rep. Steve Shurtleff has been elected House Speaker.

In the Democratic-controlled House, the longtime state representative from Concord defeated House Republican Leader Dick Hinch of Merrimack by a vote of 237-152 on Wednesday.

In last month’s elections, the Democrats regained control of the chamber for the first time in four years, grabbing a 233-167 majority.

A total of 395 of the 400 re-elected and newly elected state representatives were present for Organization Day, when the new Legislature was sworn in by Republican Gov. Chris Sununu.

The 71-year-old Shurtleff is a Vietnam War veteran and a retired deputy U.S. Marshal. He was first elected to the House in 2004.

Soucy tapped as Senate president

CONCORD (AP) – Democrat Donna Soucy has been elected president of New Hampshire’s Senate.

Soucy, of Manchester, was unanimously elected president of the Democrat-led chamber on Wednesday. She’s serving her fourth term in the Senate.

She served as a state representative in the same seat her mother, Lillian Soucy, once held. She also had served on Manchester’s Board of Mayor and Aldermen, like her father, C. Arthur Soucy.

Dartmouth faculty seeking changes

HANOVER (AP) – About 80 Dartmouth College faculty members have signed a letter pledging to make “structural and cultural changes” to protect against violence and discrimination following student allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment in one department.

Professors Brad Duchaine and Peter Ulric Tse of the Psychological and Brain Sciences Department wrote the letter. It was published Tuesday in The Dartmouth student newspaper.

Three members of their department left this year following sexual misconduct investigations. Dartmouth was sued last month for allegedly allowing the three to create a culture that subjected female students to harassment, groping and sexual assault. Dartmouth denied allegations it ignored complaints.

The letter invited professors’ signatures and pledged to “make structural and cultural changes to our community to improve protections against all forms of violence and discrimination, including protections for those who come forward.”

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press.

COMMENTS