homepage logo

Milford widow’s wrongful death suit settled; amount withheld

By Dean Shalhoup - Senior Staff Writer | Oct 23, 2018

Staff file photo by Dean Shalhoup Dr. Abraham Jacob testifies during his wrongful death trial last week. The parties reached a settlement in the case over the weekend, the terms of which are confidential.

NASHUA – The parties in the wrongful death suit a Milford widow filed in 2016 against a local health provider and one of its doctors have settled, according to court officials.

The settlement, which the plaintiff’s attorney Benjamin Gideon said was reached during the weekend, abruptly ended the jury trial that had been scheduled to last into this week.

The terms of the settlement, including the amount the plaintiff was awarded in damages, are confidential, Gideon said Monday.

“I’m not able to discuss details … however, I can say that we are very glad to have had the opportunity to present the evidence to the people of New Hampshire,” he said.

“We want to thank the jurors and (Judge Jacalyn Colburn) for the time and effort they put into hearing this case.”

Milford resident Karen Lockwood filed the suit in 2016, roughly three years after her husband, Michael Lockwood, died of septic shock the day after he was admitted to a Nashua hospital.

The suit named Southern New Hampshire Health, which owns the walk-in clinic Michael Lockwood went to the day before his death, and Dr. Abraham Jacob, the physician to treated him.

In the suit, Karen Lockwood accused Jacob of failing to warn her and her husband about a blood test result that showed her husband had a life-threatening blood infection and that he should seek emergency treatment.

Jacob and the provider maintained that Jacob did deliver that information, and that he did so while speaking with the Lockwoods by phone several hours after they returned home from the clinic.

Attorney Sean Capliss, who represented Southern New Hampshire Health and Jacobs, couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.

Gideon, meanwhile, called it “an honor” to have represented Karen Lockwood.

“She and her family have faced a long road since Michael Lockwood’s death … and they have conducted themselves with the utmost dignity throughout the process,” Gideon said.

The case at its core “was about the policies and safety rules that govern the actions of hospitals and doctors,” Gideon continued. While “we have tremendous respect for our medical professionals,” he added, “we as a society also have an important duty to keep watch on medical institutions, and to make sure the standards of care are being met.”

Dean Shalhoup can be reached at 594-1256, or dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com or @Telegraph_DeanS.


Join thousands already receiving our daily newsletter.