Plea sought in alleged hammer attack

NASHUA – Timothy Webster, the 22-year-old city man charged in June with several offenses – including an alleged hammer attack on a man authorities refer to as his “boyfriend” – pleaded not guilty to a second felony assault count on Wednesday.

Webster, of 14 Whitney St., Apt. 2, was previously arraigned on one count of domestic violence-related first-degree assault, a Class A felony, along with six Class A misdemeanor charges of simple assault-domestic violence.

He is accused of “punching his boyfriend numerous times, then striking him in the head with a hammer, because he was upset with him,” according to police reports.

It was Webster who called police in the early morning hours of June 2, telling police he wanted the alleged victim “to leave (the apartment) because he was still feeling violent toward him.”

Attorney Amanda Steenhuis, Webster’s public defender, wrote in a dispositional order Wednesday that the parties “have initiated plea negotiations,” with the intent to reach an agreement ahead of trial.

Assistant County Attorney Cassie Devine is prosecuting the case.

The parties, noting that a plea agreement is likely, asked the court to schedule a status conference within a month to review the progress.

If negotiations are unsuccessful, the parties currently have until April to schedule a trial.

Police previously said officers who were called to the French Hill apartment around 3 a.m. June 2 went in looking for a possible victim of a domestic altercation.

They said the officers soon found what they were searching for: A bloodied man lying in bed and a hammer, also covered in blood, lying on the floor next to a clump of hair.

After the alleged assault but before police arrived, the alleged victim had gone to a local hospital, police said, “but left after learning he would need staples” to treat his head wound.