Ember causes machine fire

NASHUA – One hot ember was enough to cause a machine fire at Rapid Sheet Metal just before 11 p.m. Tuesday night, according to Nashua Fire Rescue officials.

The burning material got into the machine filtration system of a metal cutting machine, officials said, igniting the large filters.

First responders found smoke rapidly filling the building, but were able to extinguish the fire quickly. The smoke took a while to ventilate, but the business was able to remain open, they said. There were no injuries.

The high heat index and humidity created hazardous conditions for firefighters wearing full protective gear, according to officials.