Heritage Commission plans two new historic markers
LYNDEBOROUGH – In their continuing program of placing signs at significant places around town, the Heritage Commission will install two markers this year: the site of the Clark Pottery in North Lyndeborough and at the Woodward Monument on Center Road.
Peter Clark arrived in Lyndeborough in 1775 planning to open a pottery, but first joined Gen. John Stark as a captain at the battles of Bennington and Saratoga.
His pottery was located near the intersection of Sharpe Road and the Second N.H. Turnpike. With his sons Peter and William and apprentices, he produced practical redware such as a pots and jugs using clay brought from Amherst.
Clark was a deacon of the church and served in several town offices and also owned a sawmill.
Clark died in 1826, but his sons continued the business both in Lyndeborough and Francestown, and eventually moved to Concord. The local business was destroyed by fire in 1855.
Christianna Woodward was killed when she was thrown from a wagon by a startled horse on the steep hill bear the corner of Herrick Road. Her husband, Artemus Woodward, held the contract for delivering mail between the South and Center Post Offices. She was returning from a trip when a hold back strap broke. She had just dropped off a friend at the corner.
She and her husband are buried in the South Cemetery
Projects for next year include the history of the Soldier’s Monument in the South Cemetery, a memorial to those who fought in the Civil War, The West Cemetery, a small yard on Route 31 near Gulf Road that served local families, and the grave of Dr. Lorenzo Bartlett.
Dr. Bartlett, 28, of New Boston, died in 1853, the only victim of an outbreak of smallpox. Because of the great fear of the disease, his brother-in-law, Dr. S. G. Dearborn of Mont Vernon, purchased a small plot on “the road which leads over the mountain towards Francestown,” now called Crooked S. Road. It is a neatly stone-walled plot.