Officers in Nashua Police shooting named

File photo Investigators from the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office and New Hampshire State Police continue working to learn the circumstances of the officer-involved shooting that took place at 106 Ledge St. in Nashua late Tuesday.

NASHUA – City police officer James Ciulla is the one who shot Justin Contreras at 106 Ledge St. late Tuesday, Senior Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckley announced on Friday.

According to Hinckley, Nashua officers Kyle Crosson and Guido Marchionda were also present at the time of the shooting. Neither of these officers discharged a firearm at the scene, Hinckley said.

Hinckley said the exact circumstances surrounding the incident remain under investigation. He said officials anticipate that a preliminary report regarding whether Ciulla’s use of force was justified will be released once the investigation is complete.

Hinckley said Friday he believed Contreras, 29, remained hospitalized in stable condition.

Hinckley said New Hampshire law requires his office to investigate whenever a state, county or municipal law enforcement officer uses force on a subject. This is not limited to shootings, as examples could also include the use of pepper spray, Tasers, batons, punches or kicks.

Officials with the Nashua Police Department declined to provide any comment on the matter Friday, referring all questions to the attorney general’s office. Hinckley said he had no information regarding whether Ciulla or the other officers are back on the job.

Hinckley said officers responded to the large, two-unit apartment building late Tuesday to conduct a “welfare check.” This type of call is typically in response to a caller’s request to check on someone’s well-being.

Exactly what police first encountered at the residence is unclear. Sandy MacInnis, who lives two houses down at the corner of Ledge and Third streets, said she heard some noise around 10 p.m. Tuesday and went to look outside.

She saw two or three police cruisers, “then I heard three shots,” MacInnis said.

MacInnis said she tried to record video with her phone, and later, while speaking with police, showed the video to a detective.

She said she saw ambulance personnel arrive and enter the house, and emerge a short time later with Contreras on a stretcher.

The door-to-door interviews took place as members of the State Police Major Crimes Unit processed the scene, collecting evidence, taking photos and creating inventory lists to use in the investigation.