Hudson man pleads out in Subway robberies

Potter pleads guilty to burglary, robbery charges in exchange for prison stint

NASHUA – Steven Potter, the Hudson man charged with burglarizing a Merrimack house and robbing a Hudson Subway just over a year ago, will serve about 14 months in State Prison after agreeing to plead guilty to the two felony charges.

Potter, 28, who lists two Hudson addresses – 39 River Road and 3 Abbott Farm Lane – in different sets of court documents, entered guilty pleas last week at Hillsborough County Superior Court South in exchange for the negotiated prison term of 2-4 years, the minimum of which is reduced by 291 days, which represents the amount of time Potter has spent in jail as his case proceeded.

That leaves him with a minimum term of about 14 1/2 months.

He is also ordered to participate in any treatment or educational programs or counseling as recommended by prison officials.

The agreement also prohibits Potter from having any contact with the victim of the Merrimack burglary, as well as the two Subway employees who were working at the time of the May 27 robbery.

He also must stay away from that Subway, at 77 Lowell Road in Hudson.

The robbery occurred roughly three weeks after the Merrimack burglary, after which Potter, according to reports at the time, apparently left town as police were searching for him.

Police had put out a warrant for Potter’s arrest after they identified him from store surveillance videos. About two weeks later, on June 9, Hudson detectives got a call from authorities at the Essex County sheriff’s department in Massachusetts, informing them they had picked up Potter on the warrant and had him in custody.

Hudson officers subsequently retrieved Potter, and after booking him on the charges transported him to Valley Street jail to await arraignment.

According to police reports, the two Subway employees told investigating officers that the man who allegedly robbed them had come in the shop two hours earlier, asking them to heat up some baby food.

When he returned, he allegedly told the employees he used to work at Subway, although it’s not clear if he meant that particular shop.

He then allegedly ordered one employee to open the cash box, at which time he “physically leaned over the counter” and took money from the register, police said.

The suspect, later identified as Potter, told the employees “not to call police for three minutes after he leaves,” the reports state. He subsequently fled with an estimated $250-$300 in cash.

Police said they called the store’s owner to the scene to assist them with reviewing surveillance images. Both the owner and Hudson police Lt. Tad Dionne identified the suspect as Potter, police said.

Dean Shalhoup can be reached at 594-1256, or @Telegraph_DeanS.