Nashua man pleads guilty to failure to register

Thomas William Hickey, photo from the Florida sex offender registry

CONCORD – Thomas William Hickey, 34, of Nashua pled guilty Tuesday to failing to register as a sex offender.

Hickey was convicted in Florida in 2003 of lewd or lascivious molestation of a 12-year-old girl, according to court documents, and as a result, was required to register as a sex offender.

After his release from prison, according to the Department of Justice, he was registered in Florida and Massachusetts, where he later moved.

According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, he was also convicted in 2005 for lewd or lascivious molestation of a victim 12-15 years or older.

Hickey was also accused of sexually assaulting a 16 year old in 2009 at the beach in Westford, Massachusetts, but the charges were later dropped due to insufficient evidence, according to an article in The Lowell Sun.

In July 2017, the Nashua Police Department reported that they had received a tip that Hickey was a sex offender who had been living in New Hampshire without registering.

The United States Marshals Service authorities were unaware Hickey had moved. He later told police that he moved to New Hampshire because he “did not want people to know he was a sex offender,” according to a Department of Justice press release.

“When those who are required to register as sex offenders fail to comply with their obligation to do so, they will be prosecuted,” said John Farley, acting United States attorney. “I commend the work of the United States Marshals Service and the Nashua Police Department for their efforts to protect the community.”

Hickey is scheduled to be sentenced May 30.

Hannah LaClaire can be reached at 594-1243 or hlaclaire@nashuatelegraph.com.