Numerous felony charges dropped in plea

Former Nashuan and prosecutors reach agreement in domestic violence case

Nashua police photo William Washington, age 47, of no fixed address, arrested May 9 2017

NASHUA – A former Nashua man who currently lists the Rockingham County jail as his address has reached a plea deal with Hillsborough County prosecutors in a case that stems from a series of domestic-violence allegations in 2016.

William Washington, 49, was initially charged with eight Class B felony counts and five Class A misdemeanor offenses, which accuse him of assaulting a female domestic partner in a Nashua residence, criminally restraining and threatening her, and obstructing her attempts to call police on Oct. 16-17, 2016.

According to the terms of the plea agreement; however, Washington entered guilty pleas to two misdemeanor domestic violence charges – one accusing him of striking the woman in the ear and the other for hitting her in the head with a jar of coins.

He was sentenced to six-month jail terms on each of the charges, to run consecutively, all suspended for two years on condition of good behavior and compliance with all terms of the sentencing order, according to Washington’s court file.

The terms also include that he have no contact by any means with the woman.

All the remaining charges were dropped as part of the agreement, the file states.

That Washington’s address is listed as the Rockingham County jail indicates he is serving time at that facility, but it wasn’t immediately known if he is a prisoner there, or if so, what the length of the sentence is or on what charges he was sentenced.

According to Nashua police reports, officers were called to an undisclosed address around 10 a.m. Oct. 17, 2016, for a report of a domestic disturbance.

They spoke with the woman, who told them she was in a relationship with Washington and that he assaulted her during an argument, including grabbing her around the neck, restraining her and preventing her from leaving the residence “for several hours.”

She told police Washington “struck her in the head numerous times, threatened to kill her with a pair of scissors and obstructed her from calling 911 two different times.”

Police said the woman sustained non-life threatening injuries and was treated at a local hospital.

Detectives with the department’s Special Investigations Division issued a warrant for Washington’s arrest, and on Nov. 13, 2016, he was located and arrested by police in St. Albans, Vermont,

police said.

Washington refused extradition; however, and remained jailed in Vermont for several months until a May 9, 2017, hearing, at which Nashua police were granted


They returned Washington to Nashua and booked him on the numerous charges.

Dean Shalhoup can be reached at 594-1256, or @Telegraph_DeanS.