Heat tape to blame for Wednesday night blaze

NASHUA – Nashua Fire Rescue responded to a building fire Wednesday night for a report of a fire in the wall of a multi family residence.

Firefighters responded just after 10 p.m. to 52 Cross St. with Engine 1 arriving to a smoke condition on the second floor and the occupant reporting a fire in a wall in a rear bedroom of the residence.

Crews wasted no time, quickly opening up the wall to discover a small fire burning in a partition. According to a press release, “Firefighters extinguished the fire with a pressurized extinguisher and checked for extension above and below the second floor.”

An investigation found heat tape being used to protect water pipes from freezing appeared to have malfunctioned and began burning within the partition. Crews disconnected the power to the heat tape and isolated the circuit.

There was minor damage as a result of the fire, but it was confined to the two areas that were opened to examine the partitions on floors one and two.

No injuries occurred in the incident, and it was determined that the fire was electrical in nature being caused by that malfunctioning heat tape.