Fire crews respond to Broad Street electrical fire

Susan Gust talks with Fire Rescue personnel after a small electrical fire in her home at 494 Broad St.

NASHUA – Susan Gust waited with a neighbor outside her home at 494 Broad St. Friday morning while the fire crew members went in and out, assessing the damage that had been done by a small electrical fire.

Gust was home when the fire started, “Thank God,” she said, thinking what might have happened if she had not been, and she called the Nashua Fire Rescue team after smelling smoke coming from her basement.

Engine 1, Engine 6, Ladder 1 and the deputy chief responded to the call and located a fire on the west side of the home, “with smoke issuing from the structure,” a fire rescue press release said.

Engine 4, Ladder 2 and Engine 3 also were dispatched.

“Live arcing wires” were discovered in the area involved in the fire, according to fire rescue officials.

Eversource also was called to the scene to cut power from the street to Gust’s home, and the Red Cross was contacted to assist the five occupants of the home, including Gust, with accommodations.

“The home will be uninhabitable until electrical service can be restored,” the release stated.

In the 20 years she has lived in the house, Gust said this is the first time something like this has happened.

Broad Street was shut down at Unicorn Way for about an hour while emergency responders assisted at the scene.