Claw dives into new school year

School has settled, and clubs are beginning to emerge once again at Souhegan. The Claw, Souhegan’s digital magazine, is back in full swing, with many new staff members.

The Claw officially launched last fall with a solid core group of student writers, photographers, video editors as well as many other contributors. The magazine is completely student-run, reporting everything from poetry to politics.

"The Claw means student voice – a chance to share our opinions on the world’s most pressing issues," said Meghana Reddy, fashion director for The Claw. Reddy is very excited for The Claw’s potential and "to expand the creative writing and fashion department, and see all the interesting projects unfold around me."

The Claw has provided a sense of community for many of the members.

"Through The Claw, I am able to do so much more than I could have dreamed of doing myself," said Anna Waldron, videographer for The Claw. "I look forward to going to meetings every week, and I have made so many friends, as well."

Every Wednesday, The Claw meets to discuss upcoming events and to recognize the content that was published the previous week.

This past year, The Claw has covered numerous political rallies and interviewed political figures such as Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Marlin Fitzwater and Andy Card. This political journey launched The Claw into production, and legitimized it as a news publisher.

Over the summer, a few members of the magazine staff attended a conference at Franklin Pierce University for student journalists, with the chance to gain press passes to the inauguration.

"I’m really excited to find out if we get to go to the inauguration or not – that would be the best part of high school for me," said Sarah Eastland, staff photographer for The Claw.

The Claw will find out in November whether the journalists who attended the summer conference will be invited.

"I am excited about growing The Claw further and further," Waldron said. "I want to take advantage of any and all opportunities that we can find."

The Claw can be found at ww.shsclaw.sprise.com.

Sophie Nikolenko is a senior at Souhegan High School in Amherst.