DAR rededicates historic plaques
NASHUA – Members of the Matthew Thornton chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and representatives of the state organization, NHSODAR, gathered with Rivier University President Sister Paula Marie Buley at the recently completed Meditation Garden on the school’s campus to rededicate two historic plaques placed by the chapter nearly 100 years ago.
The garden is close to the historic Meeting House Park, site of the Meeting House of Dunstable from 1754-1812. The site was acquired by the Matthew Thornton chapter and given to the city in 1927.
In 1901, a stone marker was placed there by the chapter to mark the location. In 1932, two markers were added to the park. The first was to mark a tree dedicated to honor two honorary state regents who were members of the chapter. The second was a plaque to commemorate the 200th birthday of George Washington. The tree has since been removed.
Both of the plaques were moved recently into the Meditation Garden and placed between two newly planted maple trees. To celebrate the event, the chapter added two new plaques of similar construction to the originals. The first rededicated the George Washington plaque, and the second is for the honorary state regents.
In 1932, there were two honorary state regents from the chapter; now there are three. The names of these ladies have been added to the plaque: Mary Howard Flather, serving from 1930-31; Eunice Denison Spring, 1931-32; and Harriet Gray Partington, 1986-89.
The mistress of ceremonies for the dedication was Judy Eriksen, registrar for the Matthew Thornton chapter and NHSODAR. Buley extended the welcome of the university and said the DAR and the university have indeed partnered to preserve the site and memorial of Meeting House Park.
– Submitted by Matthew Thornon chapter of DAR