Monday, September 1, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;71.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/nskc.png;2014-09-01 03:32:52
Monday, March 18, 2013

One-alarm fire in Nashua began in flower box

NASHUA – Nashua Fire Rescue responded to a one-alarm fire at a home on Laconia Avenue early Sunday morning, Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Kerrigan said.

Kerrigan said Nashua Engine 5 received the call at 1:57 a.m. and arrived at the building, on a dead-end street at 4 Laconia Ave., to find smoke showing from the two-story, single-family wood-frame building. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

NASHUA – Nashua Fire Rescue responded to a one-alarm fire at a home on Laconia Avenue early Sunday morning, Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Kerrigan said.

Kerrigan said Nashua Engine 5 received the call at 1:57 a.m. and arrived at the building, on a dead-end street at 4 Laconia Ave., to find smoke showing from the two-story, single-family wood-frame building.

The occupants of the building were outside when Engine 5 arrived and no injuries were reported.

Responders stretched a hose line to extinguish a small fire that had begun in a flower box under the front window and spread up the front wall of the building, said Kerrigan.

The occupants were reportedly away from home when the fire started, but stated that they used the flower box as an ashtray and had disposed of a cigarette there earlier in the evening.

Upon returning home, the occupants found that the cigarette had ignited the flower box and caused the fire, said Kerrigan.

On Sunday morning, frozen water from Engine 5 was still pooled at the bottom of Laconia Avenue but the damage to the home had been boarded up, although smoke stains could still be seen around the covering.

William Wrobel can be reached at 594-6426 or wwrobel@nashua
telegraph.com.