Friday, October 24, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;52.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/ovc.png;2014-10-24 19:04:12
img
Staff photo by Dean Shalhoup

Deputy Fire Chief Brian Rhodes talks with Nashua police officers outside of 29 Temple St. after firefighters quelled a fire in a first-floor apartment Sunday afternoon. No injuries were reported.
Monday, April 16, 2012

No injuries in Nashua boarding house fire

NASHUA – Investigators are looking into the possibility that a Sunday afternoon fire at the Temple Street Inn, a large boarding house at 29 Temple St., was caused by someone falling asleep while smoking.

Deputy Chief Brian Rhodes said a man who appeared to be intoxicated fell asleep with the lighted cigarette, resulting in a blaze that the building’s sprinkler system kept in check until firefighters arrived.

“The automatic sprinklers did their job,” Rhodes said, adding the fire triggered the alarm system, which alerted other residents of the multiple-unit building.

Crews arrived around 2 p.m. to find smoke coming from a first-floor apartment in the building, a 2 1⁄2 -story structure with several ells attached. Rhodes said firefighters contained the blaze to the room of origin.

“There’s some water damage in there, but they’ll be able to clean it up,” he said.

The fire was under control in about 15 minutes. No injuries were reported. Roughly 15 onlookers, most of them residents, stood in front of the neighboring Temple Street Hotel, awaiting word on when they could return.

Property records show the building, classified as a boarding house with 28 units, has been owned by LTA Investments of Nashua for the past five years.

– DEAN SHALHOUP