Wednesday, February 22, 2017
My Account  | Login
Nashua-BoireFieldAirport;51.0;;2017-02-22 12:17:35

ERROR: Video is no longer available.

  • Staff Photo by GRANT MORRIS

    Capt. Nick Willard, of the Manchester Police Department announces new details in the shooting of police officer Daniel Doherty, Friday afternoon on the steps of the Manchester Police Department. Police are now searching for a woman named Jennifer Goupil who they believe was in the car just before Wednesday night's shooting.
  • Myles Webster, 22, of Litchfield,

    Charged with attempted murder

    Arrested on March 22, 2012 by Manchester Police.
  • 3/22/12--Myles Webster, 22, of Litchfield is led into the 9th Circuit court room in Manchester, N.H., on March, 22, 2012. Webster is being held on $1 million cash bail for alledgedly shooting Manchester Police Officer Daniel Doherty. DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER
Saturday, March 24, 2012

Update: Manchester police arrest driver sought in shooting incident

MANCHESTER – Police arrested the woman they say was driving Myles Webster just before Manchester Police officer Daniel Doherty was shot on Wednesday night.

Jennifer Whitfield, also known as Jennifer Goupil, 35, was arrested around 6:30 p.m., 3½ hours after police and state and county prosecutors held a press conference announcing they were looking for Whitfield and the 2005 Hyundai Sonata she was driving, police said.

Whitfield is charged with unauthorized use of a propelled vehicle or rented property, but police want to question her about the shooting. Police also recovered the rented vehicle, police said.

Earlier on Friday, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin refused to comment on the relationship between Whitfield and Webster, 22, of Litchfield, or whether Whitfield has a criminal record. Webster is charged with attempted murder. Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin said police believe Webster was in the car just before Doherty was shot five times on Manchester’s West Side early Wednesday evening. Strelzin said police believe Whitfield fled the area in the car.

Bail was set Thursday at $1 million cash for Webster, who is accused of shooting the officer multiple times with a handgun during a confrontation.

Webster was arraigned in Manchester district court on Thursday morning. He was arrested earlier in the morning and charged with attempted murder.

Strelzin declined to comment on the relationship between Webster and Whitfield except to say they were believed to be in the same vehicle. He said no one else shot at police officers. He declined to say whether Doherty fired his own gun.

Manchester Police Chief David Mara addressed reporters during a news conference Friday afternoon and said Doherty, who is at Catholic Medical Center, has shown improvement and should heal.

“He’s getting better a little every day,” Mara said. “There’s no doubt in my mind he’s going to get through this.”

Mara said several police agencies have helped or offered assistance in the investigation, including the FBI, ATF, and the Bedford and Hooksett police departments.

Attorney General Michael Delaney and Hillsborough County Attorney Dennis Hogan spoke briefly on Friday. Delaney said the two agencies have been investigating the shooting and will cooperate on the prosecution of the attempted murder charge Webster is facing.

Delaney said the case will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, and that it has been and will continue to be his office’s top priority.

Strelzin said he hopes to unseal the affidavit on the case early next week.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or