Wednesday, February 22, 2017
My Account  | Login
Nashua-BoireFieldAirport;51.0;;2017-02-22 12:22:44
Monday, March 19, 2012

Electrical fire damages Nashua apartment

NASHUA – Firefighters made quick work of a smoky fire on the second floor of a downtown apartment building Sunday evening.

Nashua Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Kevin Kerrigan said a malfunction in the electrical devices on a large, 40- or 50-gallon fish tank sparked the blaze, which broke out shortly before 7 at 27 Bowers St., a 21⁄2 -story, two-family home between Dearborn Street and Harbor Avenue.

The thick, black smoke that greeted firefighters from the East Hollis, Lake and Amherst street stations came from the burning plastic components of the fish tank cover, Kerrigan said. Arriving fire crews reported smoke showing, which drew two additional trucks to the scene.

He said the fire, which was brought under control in about 15 minutes, destroyed the fish tank, and the heavy smoke left the second floor uninhabitable. An AMR ambulance stood by for a while, but no injuries were reported.

Kerrigan said nobody was home at the time, but the building owner was notified and was on his way to the scene. City records show the property is owned by 27 Bowers LLC, of 36 Doggett Lane, Nashua.

A couple of dozen onlookers watched the activity from parking lots and sidewalks across Bowers Street.