Recommendations made for needed school repairs
WILTON – The Wilton-Lyndeborough Cooperative School Board has received the final report from McCormick Facilities Management, an analysis of all school buildings in the district including recommendations for fixing deficiencies.
The study was one of the first areas addressed by the new cooperative school board soon after the two towns voted to consolidate all of their schools into one district in 2010.
The board decided they needed a thorough study in order to form a district-wide plan for general maintenance and ongoing improvements.
McCormick, of Dexter, Maine, was chosen last year to conduct the study.
Each school is divided into sections by date of construction, since the age of the building has to be considered, and recommendations are by “life-safety issues” and “major issues not life-safety related.”
Since the study took the better part of the year, some concerns have already been addressed such as air quality and ice dam problems at Lyndeborough Central, roof problems and security issues at Florence Rideout, and the stage curtain at the high school. Other issues are currently being addressed.
The board’s Facilities Committee has looked at the report and will make recommendations to the board Jan. 10.
At the board’s regular meeting Dec. 28, members said they will prepare a list of priorities and a five-year plan, determine what can be done through the maintenance budget and what items will require warrant articles.
All plans will have to be discussed with the Budget Committee.
The report lists everything the inspectors found from uncleaned vents and mis-oriented exit signs, to major structural concerns.
The Florence Rideout report separates the three parts of the complex: the 1895 original building, the 1930 gym and the 1950s addition in front of the gym.
The Central School covers the 1949 original building with the 1953 addition, plus additions in 1970, 1983 and 1989.
The high school originally opened in 1971 and was enlarged in 2000 to add a middle school.
The two towns formed the cooperative junior/high school in 1969.