Tuesday, October 21, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;56.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/ovc.png;2014-10-21 14:17:12
Monday, January 9, 2012

Criminal investigation of Brookline police chief’s son not finished

BROOKLINE – A criminal investigation into the police chief’s son isn’t over, according to state police, despite what was announced by selectmen at their last meeting.

At last week’s meeting, board Vice Chairman Clarence Farwell said he had spoken “briefly” with Police Chief William Quigley III, who told him the investigation into criminal allegations of domestic violence against his son were “done,” although the state police report hadn’t yet been completed.

“He says the investigation is done, but there’s no report yet,” Farwell told the board.

The investigation relates to an incident of alleged domestic violence between Jonathan Quigley and his former girlfriend Nicole Shank.

Shank wrote letters of complaint about how the Brookline Police Department handled the incident and asked for an investigation, which was referred to state police to avoid a possible conflict if the probe was handled by the town Police Department.

On Thursday, state police Lt. James Geraghty, who heads the major crimes unit, told The Telegraph that state police are continuing to investigate the criminal allegations.

The probe is being handled by Sgt. Jill Rockey, the state trooper who has been recognized statewide for her expertise in the arena of domestic violence and other family issues.

Geraghty said that if investigators determine that the case should be prosecuted, it would be referred to the Hillsborough County attorney’s office.

Late last year, however, some law enforcement professionals speculated that the case would likely be referred to another county, given the possible conflict for the town’s police chief. The chief’s professional ties are to Hillsborough County.

The investigation stems from Shank’s complaint that the Brookline Police Department did not investigate for domestic violence because her former boyfriend was the police chief’s son. She also asserts that in addition to the chief, two town police officers who conducted civil standbys at the home that she formerly shared with Jonathan Quigley were aware of the altercation but took no action.

A Milford District Court judge granted Shank a protective order in June, a month after the domestic dispute, and during the hearing, a town police officer testified that he saw marks on Jonathan Quigley’s face, the day of the incident, that were “consistent with being struck.”

Shank has filed a series of complaints against the Police Department with the Board of Selectmen. Her most recent letter was dated Dec. 29.

Hattie Bernstein can be reached at 673-3100, ext. 24 or hbernstein@cabinet.com.