Sunday, February 26, 2017
My Account  | Login
Nashua-BoireFieldAirport;40.0;;2017-02-26 14:11:03
  • Staff photo by Don Himsel

    Facebook Don Himsel at The Telegraph

    Number 13 Spruce Street, Nashua.

  • Staff photo by Don Himsel

    Facebook Don Himsel at The Telegraph

    A bicycle leans against a Nashua Police Department vehicle while officers investigate Sunday night's stabbing Monday, Oct. 10, 2011.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

One dead, two injured in Nashua stabbing on Sunday night

NASHUA – A man was stabbed to death and two women were injured after an attack in front of their Spruce Street home on Sunday night, according to state authorities.

The assailant fled the scene after the incident with at least one other person and remains at large, Assistant Attorney General Michael Lewis said.

Paul Frontiero, 27, of 13 Spruce St., was attacked and stabbed outside his home about 10:30 p.m. Sunday. After the attack, Frontiero was transported to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead, Lewis said.

The homicide investigation is being led by the attorney general’s office and the Nashua Police Department, Lewis said.

Two other victims, Jill Arnold, 29, and Kathryn Libby, 29, also of 13 Spruce St., were injured, Lewis said. Arnold received minor cuts in the attack, while Libby suffered more serious stab wounds, but is expected to live, Lewis said.

Another resident of the apartment building and a friend of Frontiero’s, Jeremy Blaiklock, said he hopes anyone with information about the attack will offer it to police.

“I just wanted to say that Paul was one of the sweetest human beings I’ve ever known,” he said. “If anyone knows anything, please come forward and tell police.”

Frontiero worked at EasCare, a private ambulance company in Boston, for two years as an EMT, according to the company’s CEO, George Gilpin. He described Frontiero as eminently professional and compassionate.

“His life was senselessly and prematurely taken away by this senseless tragedy,” Gilpin aid. “We are humbled to have known such a fine and loyal person, whose presence will be missed by all.”

Public safety dispatchers alerted police Monday morning by radio that several males suspected to be involved were headed toward Hudson in a gray or green Saturn after the stabbing.

The men were reported to be wearing baggy T-shirts and one had a shaved head, the dispatcher said.

Caution tape, multiple cruisers and a crime scene vehicle remained parked outside the Spruce Street location throughout Monday morning. The police tape and evidence markers were gone by early afternoon, but residents of the quiet neighborhood remained on edge.

Carl Sheehan said he talked to one of the women just after the attack. The woman was pacing on the sidewalk and had a cut on her neck. Sheehan said she told him she and the other female victim tried to defuse a confrontation that occurred when the attacker got out of the car that had been driving by the building. The attacker lost his hat during the attack and stabbed Frontiero “repeatedly,” the woman said, according to Sheehan.

Sheehan said he knew Frontiero on a first-name basis and would often see him hanging out in the backyard listening to music and taking care of his dogs.

“It’s just a shame,” Sheehan said. “I wish I’d been out here and was able to see a car or something. I’m just helpless.”

The residence is a large white and blue building that appears to have at least two apartments. There’s a chain link fence with shrubs growing through it surrounding a side yard. A Saturn was parked inside the fence Monday afternoon, and two more cars were parked in a driveway on the other side of the building, in front of a small, garage-type building set behind the building.

Spruce Street is a fairly short, quiet residential street that runs between East Hollis and Temple streets. Frontiero’s apartment is across the street from St. Mary’s Bank and a function hall and is surrounded by well-maintained brick apartment buildings and Sheehan’s single-family home.

The apartment building is owned by a Salem, Mass., couple, according to city assessment data.

Several neighbors said there has never been any problems at the building and that the three people who lived there were always friendly.

“It’s tragic. I can’t believe Nashua is doing this,” neighbor Patricia Deering said. “They’re a great group, very, very nice.”

Rita McCauley, another neighbor, said she didn’t hear anything happening Sunday night until she noticed blue lights flashing in her windows after police arrived.

“It’s very nerve-racking. It’s so frightening,” McCauley said. “You see it on TV, but you don’t hear it in your neighborhood. We’ve never had something like this. Never, ever, ever.”

Frontiero graduated from Londonderry High School in 2003 and studied at the New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord, according to Facebook.

An employee at EasCare said Gilpin wouldn’t be available to answer questions until today.

The autopsy of Frontiero was scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday.

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call the Nashua Police Department at 594-3500 or the Nashua Crime Line at 589-1665.

Maryalice Gill can be reached at 594-6940 or Also, follow Gill on Twitter (@Telegraph_MAG). Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or Also, follow Cote on Twitter (@Telegraph_JoeC).