Wednesday, February 22, 2017
My Account  | Login
Nashua-BoireFieldAirport;41.0;;2017-02-22 21:28:16
  • Telegraph file photo by Dean Shalhoup

    Anthony Barnaby is led into Nashua district court following his arrest in October 1988 in connection with the murders of two Nashua women. Barnaby has been re-arrested in the murders and will be arraigned Wednesday.
  • Staff file photo by Dean Shalhoup

    In an October 1988 photo, Anthony Barnaby, right, stands outside the apartments at 7 Mason Street in Nashua with Nashua Police Department Det. Wayne McDonald.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Two former Nashua men arrested – again – for 1988 homicide

NASHUA – In the return of one of Nashua’s longest and most notorious murder cases, two former Nashua men – including one whose case resulted in three hung juries in a row – have been charged with murdering two women in the city in 1988.

Anthony Barnaby, 43, and David Caplin, 49, have been arrested in Canada, city police and the attorney general’s office announced Tuesday. They are being charged in connection with the double murder of Charlene Ranstrom and Brenda Warner in their apartment at 7 Mason St., during the night of Oct. 2, 1988.

The women, who shared the apartment, were found the next day, tied up and stabbed more than a dozen times each.

Barnaby lived on the floor beneath the two women. Caplin, a Canadian, was staying with him at the time.

Barnaby confessed but later withdrew his confession. He was tried three times on charges of being an accomplice to murder in connection with the killings, but ended in a mistrial or hung jury.

Caplin was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in the case, but the charges were eventually dropped after courts threw out much of the evidence.

The case stretched out over four years because of the many trials, and drew enormous attention.

The attorney general’s office and the Nashua Police Department have called a press conference at 2 p.m. to talk about the case.

– Telegraph staff