Tuesday, February 21, 2017
My Account  | Login
Nashua-BoireFieldAirport;16.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/nskc.png;2017-02-21 07:02:51
  • Quinn Glover points to Steven Spader in the courtroom in HIllsborough County Superior Court in Nashua, New Hampshire Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. (AP Photo/Don Himsel
  • Quinn Glover takes the stand in HIllsborough County Superior Court in Nashua, New Hampshire Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. Glover was to testify against Steven Spader.(AP Photo/Don Himsel
  • Quinn Glover holds up a glove during his testimony against Steven Spader during Spader's trial in Nashua, New Hampshire Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. Glover said he brought gloves and wore a knife in a case on his belt to the Cates home in Mont Vernon on October 4, 2009, the night Kimberly Cates was killed and her daughter severely injured. (AP Photo/Don Himsel
  • Quinn Glover holds up a glove during his testimony against Steven Spader during Spader's trial in Nashua, New Hampshire Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. Glover said he brought gloves and wore a knife in a case on his belt to the Cates home in Mont Vernon on October 4, 2009, the night Kimberly Cates was killed and her daughter severely injured. (AP Photo/Don Himsel
  • Prosecutor Peter Hinckley points to a text message from Steven Spader to Quinn Glover that was sent shortly before they and two others allegedly drove to the Cates home in Mont Vernon, New Hampshire in October of 2009 during Steven Spader's trial in Nashua, New Hampshire Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. The words D.O.D. in the message refers to the Disciples of Destruction which prosecutors say was a gang which Spader and Glover belonged to. (AP Photo/Don Himsel)
  • Steven Spader talks with one of his attorneys, Andrew Winters, during a break in his trial in Hillsborough County Superior Court in Nashua, New Hampshire Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010 (AP Photo/Don Himsel)
  • Staff photo by Don Himsel

    Alderman Fred Teeboom sits in courtroom 4 in Hillsborough County Superior Court in Nashua Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010 and watches Steven Spader's trial.
Friday, October 29, 2010

Glover: Spader ‘euphoric’ after killing

NASHUA – Quinn Glover knew Steven Spader was no longer exaggerating about his desire to kill someone when he saw Spader and Christopher Gribble walk into Kimberly Cates’ bedroom armed with a machete and a knife.

Glover heard two voices, a woman and a little girl, he said Thursday as he testified in Spader’s first-degree murder trial.

“Jaimie, is that you,” Kimberly Cates said.

“Yeah, mom,” Jaimie said.

They sounded terrified, Glover said.

Next, he heard screaming, footfalls and thuds, repetitive thuds, coming from the bedroom at 4 Trow Road in Mont Vernon. He said he tried to cover his ears, but he could still hear. He could have done something to stop it, but he didn’t.

“I heard screams and cries,” he said. “I heard begging.”

“Jaimie, run.”

“Please don’t do it.”

“No. Please no.”

Moments later he saw Spader emerge from the bedroom carrying the machete covered with hair and blood. Spader was euphoric, Glover said.

Spader’s high lasted even until later that day when Spader joked about how Kimberly Cates woke up to being hacked to death with a machete.

Later, Spader grabbed Glover by the shoulders and said, “Quinn, we broke up a family. Isn’t this great? He was euphoric, excited. He seemed like he had just gotten off a roller coaster, an adrenaline rush,” Glover said.

Glover was on the stand for more than six hours Thursday, the fourth day of testimony in Spader’s first-degree murder trial. Glover has accepted a plea deal of 20-40 years for burglary, robbery and conspiracy to burglary in exchange for his testimony against Spader and Gribble. Defense attorneys hammered on that point during their cross-examination, along with Glover’s initial lies to police during interviews in the days after the murder.

Earlier in his testimony, he talked about his relationship with Spader, Gribble and William Marks. He said he was closest with Spader and they used to talk about murdering people. Spader talked about breaking into homes and killing people in the year leading up to the home invasion, but talked about it more frequently and with more intensity in the weeks before.

“He talked about eating people, roasting people. Putting heads on stakes, making scenes for the press,” Glover said of Spader.

Glover said he didn’t see what happened in the bedroom where Kimberly Cates was killed and Jaimie Cates was brutally attacked but saw Kimberly and Jaimie after.

Glover went into great detail about many aspects of the weeks, days and hours leading up to the attack on Oct. 4, 2009. He was calm during most of his testimony and answered many of the questions from lawyers with “Yes, sir,” or “No, sir.”

Glover also testified about a brotherhood or gang Spader formed called the Disciples of Destruction, or D.O.D., inspired by a television show about a gang of outlaw bikers. Glover read a series of codes and bylaws that had been created that Spader showed to him on Nov. 13. The laws described the D.O.D. as a “brotherhood of men” meant to uphold honor and protect their brothers.

“You will always be accepted, always loved. When you fall, you shall always be picked up,” Glover read.

The club was meant to organize crimes to make money, Glover said. Spader, Glover and Marks were named officers and founding fathers of the group, Glover said.

Glover said Spader was also “almost obsessed” with an assist-open knife he bought a few days before the murder.

Spader and Marks caught the end of the Bishop Guertin football game along with a couple of other friends before the murder. Glover read a series of texts between himself and Spader sent while Glover was trying to sneak out of his home on Blueberry Hill Road in Amherst. His head had a pentagram shaved into it at the time, he said. He had packed two mismatched gloves and a bandanna in a backpack, had a folding knife with him, and planned to wear a sweatshirt Spader was bringing, Glover said.

On Trow Road, the men decided against breaking into the house next door to the Cates because Glover said it was too big, he said. They then drove by the Cates home a few times before Gribble dropped them off and parked at a nearby barn, he said.

Glover said they tried a number of locked doors before Gribble broke a basement window and lowered Marks inside. Gribble then cut through plastic panels beside an air conditioner and, with Glover’s help, moved it enough to allow Spader to wriggle through and into the house. Spader let the others in, Glover said.

Glover said he took his shoes off when he first went in the house out of habit because that’s what he always did at home.

After checking all the rooms and taking an iPod from Jaimie Cates’ room for light, the group moved toward the master bedroom with Spader and Gribble in the lead. Spader put away his knife and pulled out his machete at the door, Glover said.

Assistant attorney general Peter Hinckley asked how the voices sounded to him.

“They were terrified, sir,” Glover said.

After turning the power back and seeing Spader in the living room, Glover said he went into the bedroom and saw Jaimie, tangled in some curtains in front of a sliding door. She wasn’t moving.

“I thought for sure she was dead,” he said. “On the bed there was a woman who was covered in blood. She was moving slightly and moaning. She seemed close to death but still alive.”

Gribble put his knife at her throat and Glover looked away, he said. When he looked back, he said the knife was at the other side of her throat and she wasn’t making any noise.

The men then left and changed their clothes before driving off. On the ride, there was laughing and joking about what had happened. Marks said something about always wanting to be in the news but he was mostly following along, Glover said.

Spader said the woman seemed to be reaching for a light on the nightstand “and he just kept hacking,” Glover said.

Glover said he took a sleep aid at home and went to a church youth group when he woke up later on Sunday. He was late for school on Monday and eventually went to the State Police barracks in Milford with Souhegan High School’s school resource officer, he said.

The evening after the murder, Spader, Gribble and another man, Eldon Spikes were in Glover’s driveway and Spader and Gribble still seemed excited, but Spader was also “spacey,” forgetting his cigarette and stopping mid-sentence, Glover said.

“He said it may become an addiction because he liked the high so much,” Glover said.

Spader later threatened Spikes with a knife because he said Spikes was telling other people about the murder, Glover said. Spikes began his own testimony immediately after Glover, but was interrupted when court was recessed at 4 p.m.

Spader’s defense attorney Andrew Winters cross-examined Glover for more than two hours in the afternoon.

Glover told him that he didn’t actually see what happened in the bedroom. He admitted he owned a samurai sword and that Marks had a hatchet with him in the car but not in the house. He said he left his sword under his bed when the group went to Mont Vernon, along with assorted razor blades he had collected in his room.

Winters spent a long time questioning him about his plea deal with prosecutors and the lies he told police when first questioned. Glover first told police he stayed in that night and watched “Gandhi” with his father. He told Winters that he did see a few minutes of the movie before meeting with the others.

He told police that he had a “sympathetic disorder” and literally felt other people’s pain, that he would have killed himself that night if he had seen people murdered, he said.

Later, he said he admitted to police that he was out but said the others dropped him off and he walked in the woods, smoked and meditated before the others picked him up again and brought him home.

He told Winters he was interested in the Zodiac Killer and told Spader about him and how he chose his victims at random, making it difficult to catch him. He also said he admired Charles Manson, but insisted he admired some of the things he said, not the murders he was involved in. He admitted to being fascinated with sharp weapons and said his parents had to take them away previously because he cut himself.

Winters pressed Glover on why he didn’t mention to police Spader’s demeanor after the attack and why he lied about Spikes knowing about the murder. Glover said, during re-direct questioning, that he was trying to protect himself, Spader and the others when he first talked to police.

Glover admitted to Winters that he was worried about being charged with murder and thought he might go to prison for 30 years or even life, and admitted that his 20-40 year sentence could mean a release when he’s 37, with time to go to college and start a family and career. Glover told Hinckley during re-direct that he was trying to take responsibility for what he did.

During his opening argument, Winters said that Spader wasn’t guilty and that Glover and the other co-defendants, including Marks and Autumn Savoy, were trying to ease their own punishments by blaming him.

Spader is charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, witness tampering, and conspiracy to burglary and murder. He faces life in prison without parole.

Gribble is facing the same charges and may plead not guilty by reason of insanity during his trial in February.

Marks and Savoy, who has pleaded guilty to helping dispose of evidence after the attack, are also expected to testify during Spader’s trial.

Glover’s testimony was delayed on Thursday because his transport from the Merrimack County Department of Corrections was late. He appeared wearing an orange shirt and pants and white tennis shoes. His light brown hair is short, but longer than the shaved head he had around the time of the murder. He didn’t look at Spader much except when he was asked to identify him.

Spader appeared to be watching Glover whenever he left the witness stand during breaks and walked by the defense table and into a nearby hallway. During the testimony, Spader watched Glover the same way he’s watched the rest of the trial, usually sitting still with his fingers pressed together in front of him.

During his brief testimony, Eldon Spikes said he was a good friend of Spader and Marks. He said he was with Marks when he bought a knife at an Army Navy Store in Milford and was with Gribble and Spader when they sold a bag of jewelry on Oct. 4, 2009 at a Cash for Gold store in the Peasant Lane Mall in Nashua.

Spikes said Spader talked about what happened in Mont Vernon later that day while he and Spikes were at another friend’s trailer in Amherst. Court was recessed for the day before Spikes was asked about specifics.

The first witness of the day was the end of New Hampshire State Trooper John Sonia’s testimony. He said he photographed 4 Trow Road after the attack and didn’t find anything carved into the wood of the porch.

Spader allegedly told people he carved the word ‘Die’ into the porch, according to court documents.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or jcote@nashuatelegraph.com.