Saturday, October 25, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;64.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/skc.png;2014-10-25 13:17:13
Monday, March 29, 2010 03:04PM

Dog wakes owners to Merrimack house fire

MERRIMACK – The family dog beat the smoke detectors in alerting residents to a fire early Monday morning, firefighters said.

No one was hurt, and damage to the home at 202 Naticook Road wound up being minimal, no doubt thanks in part to the early alarm.

Firefighters were called out at 4:17 a.m., and found a fire within an exterior wall, beside the chimney, Merrimack Fire Lt. Brian Dubreil said this morning.

The homeowners, Christopher and Karen MacDonnell, were able to get out, and told firefighters their dog had been barking, and woke them up. The smoke detectors began to sound later, Dubreil said.

It took firefighters about half an hour to snuff the fire, and a little more than an hour more to make absolutely sure it was out. Nashua firefighters helped out at the scene, while other departments sent crews to cover the town’s stations.

The fire caused minimal damage in the house, Dubriel said.

- Andrew Wolfe