Car dealer convicted of theft
He faces 34 other charges
BRENTWOOD – The first of what could become a series of Superior Court jury trials for disgraced former classic car dealer Stephan Condodemetraky ended Wednesday with a jury verdict of guilty on one count of felony theft.
The charge was one of eight Condodemetraky faced in Rockingham County Superior Court, and one of 35 he faces in all. Twenty are filed in Merrimack County Superior Court, and the other seven are in Hillsborough County Superior Court-South in Nashua.
The theft charge on which he was convicted accuses Condodemetraky of “exercising unauthorized control over a consignor’s money with the purpose to deprive the consignor of that money,” state Attorney General Gordon MacDonald said in a statement.
Condodemetraky “kept nearly $6,000 from the proceeds of the sale” of a car, “to which he was not entitled under their contract,” the statement said.
Sentencing is scheduled for 1 p.m. April 29 in the Rockingham County court. Condodemetraky could face up to 15 years in prison plus fines on the felony charge.
Condodemetraky, 50, of 2 Dorothy’s Way in Bedford, began accumulating various charges more than two years ago, as investigators dug into the records of Dusty Old Cars, his now-defunct classic car consignment dealership.
Many of the charges revolve around allegations Condodemetraky regularly kept the proceeds from consignment sales without paying the owners of the vehicle, paying a fraction of the net sales price, charging for what customers described as “bogus fees” and “phantom repairs” and forging signatures on various documents.
The charges he faces in the Nashua court include six counts of theft by misapplication of property in an amount more than $1,501, and one count of the same charge in an amount between $1,001-$1,500, according to the indictments.
They accuse him of “recklessly” failing to pay seven people the net proceeds of consignment sales they were owed.
According to his case summary, Condodemetraky had been scheduled for trial in January, but, after a series of motions were filed, including one by prosecutors asking to continue the trial, the court rescheduled it for the final week of September.
Dean Shalhoup may be reached at 594-1256, email@example.com, or @Telegraph_DeanS.