Nashua woman leads police on two-state car chase

NASHUA – A Major Drive woman is in custody after leading police on a two-state car chase that ended on the Everett Turnpike Wednesday night.

Members of the Nashua Police Department’s Problem Oriented Policing Unit were conducting an investigation in the area of Major Drive Wednesday night when they had contact with Carmelita Vergez, 54, of 11 Major Drive.

During their contact with Vergez, she allegedly got into her car, a 2004 Honda Odyssey. Vergez told officers that a man had been shot and was deceased inside her home. This later turned out to be false, officials said. Vergez then fled the area in her car, as officers attempted to gather additional information from her.

Officials with the Uniformed Patrol Operations Bureau quickly located Vergez’ car on Allds Street and attempted to stop her by activating their blue emergency lights and siren. Vergez kept driving, and led officers on a low- to moderate-speed pursuit to Main Street, police said.

Vergez then drove south on Main Street to the Daniel Webster Highway and crossed into Tyngsborough, Massachusetts.

Tyngsborough Police then took over the pursuit. While on Daniel Webster Highway in the area of Adventure Way, Vergez caused a minor collision with another car, according to police.

That car involved in that accident sustained some damage; however, there were no injuries. The pursuit continued through Tyngsborough and back onto Massachusetts Route 3 north and back into Nashua.

Nashua officers picked up the pursuit northbound on the Everett Turnpike, successfully deploying spike strips in the area of Exit 5. However, Vergez’ car continued northbound to the exit 6 northbound off ramp, where it struck another car, police said.

No injuries were reported as a result of that second collision. Vergez then ran from her car and went over the guardrail, down an embankment and toward the Nashua River.

Officers quickly apprehended Vergez and placed her under arrest.

The Exit 6 northbound off ramp was shut down briefly to conduct the accident investigation. Nashua Police were assisted by New Hampshire State Police.

While some Nashua officers pursued Vergez, others Nashua responded to Vergez’ home to investigate her report of the individual who had been shot. Officers made entry into the residence and determined there was nobody injured or deceased.

Vergez was charged with two counts of disobeying a police officer, two counts of conduct after an accident, resisting detention and resisting arrest. All are Class A misdemeanors.

Damien Fisher can be reached at 594-1245 or or @Telegraph_DF.