Monday, December 22, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;38.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/ra.png;2014-12-22 14:25:36
Saturday, August 2, 2014

Former Merrimack man sentenced to 15 years on child pornography charge

CONCORD – A former Merrimack man arrested nearly a year and a half ago will spend much longer than that federal prison.

Keith Burns, 41, formerly of 11 Camp Sargent Road in Merrimack, pleaded guilty in April to a single count of attempted receipt of child pornography and was sentenced to 15 years in prison under the terms of a plea deal reached with federal prosecutors, U.S. Attorney John Kacavas said. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

CONCORD – A former Merrimack man arrested nearly a year and a half ago will spend much longer than that federal prison.

Keith Burns, 41, formerly of 11 Camp Sargent Road in Merrimack, pleaded guilty in April to a single count of attempted receipt of child pornography and was sentenced to 15 years in prison under the terms of a plea deal reached with federal prosecutors, U.S. Attorney John Kacavas said.

Burns was arrested in March 2013 after police in Jackson County, Ore., were notified by the parents of a 13-year-old girl that a man had been talking with her online and pressuring her to send pornographic images of herself, Kacavas said.

Oregon investigators contacted the FBI, which tracked Burns to Merrimack. He was already on the state’s sexual offender registry for sexually assaulting a minor, Kacavas said.

U.S. attorneys took the case over and charged him in U.S. District Court in Concord in December, superseding several child pornography counts Merrimack police said filed at Hillsborough County Superior Court in Nashua.

Burns’ arrest came roughly five years after he was released from prison for a 2003 indecent exposure and lewdness conviction.

He has a long criminal record that dates to at least 1993 and includes aggravated felonious sexual assault, for which he served nine months in jail.

He served five years in prison for the 2003 conviction,
according to police.

The most recent case was prosecuted under Project Safe Childhood, a U.S. Department of Justice program to combat child exploitation and abuse, Kacavas said.

For more information about that program, which includes the U.S. Attorney Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, visit www.justice.gov/psc.

The investigation eventually included officers and agents from the FBI, the Merrimack Police Department, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department in Oregon and the New Hampshire Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.

It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Helen White Fitzgibbon.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or jcote@nashuatelegraph.com. Also, follow Cote on Twitter (@Telegraph_JoeC).