Tuesday, September 30, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;58.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/ovc.png;2014-09-30 13:47:56
Thursday, July 24, 2014

Brown gaining on Shaheen in poll

CONCORD – A conservative, special interest group’s poll released Wednesday had Republican Senate candidate Scott Brown pulling within striking distance of Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H.

The sponsor, Citizens for a Strong New Hampshire, have aired radio ads critical of Shaheen for supporting the Affordable Care Act. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

CONCORD – A conservative, special interest group’s poll released Wednesday had Republican Senate candidate Scott Brown pulling within striking distance of Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H.

The sponsor, Citizens for a Strong New Hampshire, have aired radio ads critical of Shaheen for supporting the Affordable Care Act.

In the July 16-17 poll, Shaheen led Brown, 46 percent to 41 percent with 13 percent undecided. Recent, independent polls had Shaheen leading by double digits but not above 50 percent support among likely voters. “As a result of an abysmal political environment and mid-term election demographics, Scott Brown is in a respectable position to defeat Jeanne Shaheen,” said the summary of this poll from Magellan Strategies BR.

The survey found Brown, an ex-Massachusetts senator, still needs to improve his image as 43 percent had an unfavorable view of him compared to 35 percent who were favorable.

Shaheen’s favorable rating was plus 3 percent, 46-to-43 percent favorable.

Nearly two-thirds in the survey – 65 percent – said the country was headed in the wrong direction with the other 35 percent saying it was on the right track.

A Democratic Party spokeswoman said Brown should take little comfort in the results.

“Even in a heavily biased, GOP-sponsored poll like this one, Scott Brown is still unpopular and his favorability numbers remain underwater,” Julie McClain said. “People in New Hampshire are getting to know Brown and his allegiance to Big Oil and Wall Street over middle class families – and they don’t like what they see.”

The automated, telephone poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.4 percent.

– KEVIN LANDRIGAN