Friday, October 24, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;49.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/ovc.png;2014-10-24 08:30:18
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Former Nashua resident indicted on charges of molesting boy in 1980s

NASHUA – A former Cub Scout and Little League volunteer and former Nashua resident was indicted on dozens of sexual assault counts accusing him of molesting a young boy in the 1980s.

Walter Michael Keegan, 62, and now of 361 Ganesvoort Road in Fort Edward, N.Y., is charged with 36 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault. The indictments accuse him of raping a 10-year-old boy multiple times from January 1986 to the end of 1988, according to court documents. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

NASHUA – A former Cub Scout and Little League volunteer and former Nashua resident was indicted on dozens of sexual assault counts accusing him of molesting a young boy in the 1980s.

Walter Michael Keegan, 62, and now of 361 Ganesvoort Road in Fort Edward, N.Y., is charged with 36 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault. The indictments accuse him of raping a 10-year-old boy multiple times from January 1986 to the end of 1988, according to court documents.

Following his arrest in March, police learned Keegan was a volunteer for a number of youth organizations in Nashua, including the Cub Scouts, as a Little League baseball coach and as a coach for a youth basketball program in the city, all during the same period of the alleged assaults.

“There is a potential for there being additional victims,” Nashua police Lt. Frank Sullivan said after police issued a statement encouraging any other victims to come forward. “We want to make sure if there are, that they can come forward and report that to us.”

Keegan was arrested in Vermont on March 20, about a month after a man told police Keegan had sexually assaulted him in the 1980s, police said.

Keegan denied the charges at his arraignment at Nashua district court.

“The only comment I would make is that at 62 I have a perfect record with no criminal charges,” he said arguing for lower bail.

Indictments are not a finding of guilty. They are simply the grand jury’s determination that prosecutors have enough evidence for the case to move to the superior court level.

The Hillsborough County Superior Court grand jury issued hundreds of other indictments this month, including several sexual assault charges against another Nashua man in his 60s.

Michael Paquin, 61, of 37 Raven St., Nashua, was arrested in March and charged with sexually assaulting a boy under 13 years hold from September to December 2013. He was indicted on four counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one count of felonious sexual assault, according to court documents.

Paquin’s wife, Denise Paquin, 59, as well as Raymond Hebert, 37, and his wife, Lori Hebert, 39, were charged at the same time with persons required to report child abuse, a misdemeanor. Both Heberts told police the alleged
victim had said shortly after Thanksgiving that he had been abused but that they didn’t report it to authorities, according to court documents.

Also indicted this month was 21-year-old Lawrence, Mass., resident Enrique Santiago, who is accused of brutally beating a 2-month-old baby and causing what may be lifelong injuries.

Santiago, who was already indicted on two first-degree assault charges, is now facing an additional nine counts of first-degree assault and a single count of simple assault, according to court documents.

Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Leslie Gill said at an earlier court hearing that the second round of indictments had to wait until the child’s medical records were available.

Santiago is accused of hitting a 10-week-old boy with a pillow case holding a tablet computer, causing “wide-spread brain trauma” and also squeezing the boy, breaking several ribs the day after Christmas, according to court documents.

The new charges accuse Santiago of breaking both the baby’s arms, both his legs and causing brain hemorrhaging, according to court documents.

Santiago was dating the baby’s mother in December and watched the boy while she worked in Billerica, Mass. He repeatedly beat the boy beginning when he was about 5 weeks old, leaving him with many broken bones, Gill said.

Police previously said doctors believe the boy may have life-long disabilities including brain damage and blindness.

Jose Arana, 28, of Nashua, was indicted on five counts of second-degree assault following an Oct. 5 car crash that had already resulted in 10 felony DWI charges, according to court documents.

Arana was arrested Oct. 5 following the crash at the intersection of West Hollis and Pine streets around 1 a.m. that morning.

Police said Arana was driving a Mitsubishi Lancer and hit Rosemary Hernandez’s Honda Odyssey. Hernandez, 39, of Nashua, broke her arm and both shoulder blades, her leg, and multiple ribs and suffered a collapsed lung, according to court records.

Two other men were injured less seriously, according to the indictments.

A Nashua woman also was indicted this month on a number of drug counts but also child endangerment charges because of what court documents described as a filthy and dangerous apartment.

Grizeliz Fernandez, 36, of 5 Denton St., Apt. 2, was indicted on one count each of possession of a narcotic drug with intent to distribute-second offense and sale of a narcotic drug-second offense for allegedly having more than a gram of heroin and selling heroin to a person cooperating with Nashua police, according to court documents.

Fernandez is also facing four counts of endangering the welfare of a child that accuse her of “violating a duty of care” to two children by living in an apartment “littered with hypodermic needles, trash, dog feces and urine,” according to court documents.

The child endangerment charges are misdemeanors punishable by up to a year in jail, but the felony drug possession charge is punishable by up to 40 years in prison, according to court documents.

A full list of the individuals indicted this month is available at nashuatelegraph.com.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or jcote@nashua
telegraph.com. Also, follow Cote on Twitter (@Telegraph_JoeC).