Friday, August 29, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;60.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/nskc.png;2014-08-29 01:13:59
Sunday, June 22, 2014

Fire destroys Hudson shed Saturday evening; no injuries reported

HUDSON – Flames consumed a large backyard shed at 72 Schaeffer Circle Saturday evening, but the house was spared, and firefighters kept the blaze from spreading to nearby woods.

A man who told firefighters he owns the home said he was in the house when he looked out and saw a column of smoke rising from the shed, which measures roughly 15 feet by 20 feet. He said he immediately called 911. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

HUDSON – Flames consumed a large backyard shed at 72 Schaeffer Circle Saturday evening, but the house was spared, and firefighters kept the blaze from spreading to nearby woods.

A man who told firefighters he owns the home said he was in the house when he looked out and saw a column of smoke rising from the shed, which measures roughly 15 feet by 20 feet. He said he immediately called 911.

A full first-alarm assignment dispatched around 7 p.m. sent three engines, a ladder truck and command vehicle to the scene. Crews reported smoke visible from Stuart’s Corner, roughly a mile from the scene, and upon arrival found the shed fully involved with fire.

A mutual-aid engine from Nashua was called to the scene but was canceled a short time later. Another Nashua engine covered Hudson Central Station for about an hour.

No injuries were reported, and the house, which is about 20 yards from the shed, wasn’t affected.

Smoke filled the air in the neighborhood, drawing residents outside to see what was going on. A group of neighbors gathered across the street to watch, many of whom expressed relief that nobody was hurt and the house wasn’t damaged.

Firefighters knocked the bulk of the flames down within 20 or so minutes and spent an additional hour or so wetting down hot spots.

The cause wasn’t immediately known.

Dean Shalhoup can be reached at 594-6443 or dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com. Also, follow Shalhoup on Twitter (@Telegraph_DeanS).