Monday, October 20, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;37.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/nskc.png;2014-10-20 04:04:00
Friday, May 30, 2014

Hudson police charge Alvirne teenager with criminal threatening for creating ‘hit list’ of other students

HUDSON – Hudson police have charged a 16-year-old student with criminal threatening after learning about a “hit list” the student authored that included the names of five Alvirne High School students, officials said.

Police Chief Jason Lavoie said a 16-year-old student had created a hit list that included five other students. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

HUDSON – Hudson police have charged a 16-year-old student with criminal threatening after learning about a “hit list” the student authored that included the names of five Alvirne High School students, officials said.

Police Chief Jason Lavoie said a 16-year-old student had created a hit list that included five other students.

The unnamed teenager has been charged with criminal threatening and was arraigned at Nashua district court Thursday afternoon, according to the statement.

The statement did not specify what type of threats were included in the list.

Alvirne Principal Steven Beals notified Superintendant Bryan Lane on Wednesday about statements made by a student that prompted administrators to investigate, according to a letter Beals sent to parents Thursday afternoon.

Lane said the school and police were investigating a series of concerning text messages. He declined to describe the nature of the messages and said district policy dictates that the superintendent be notified when principals learn of any “incidents around social media that create a level of concern around student conflict.”

“The comments made were of concern, and we dealt with them in an appropriate manner,” he said. “In an effort to make sure every student’s rights are protected, it would be inappropriate for me to comment at this time.”

Beals sent the letter to parents Thursday afternoon acknowledging the he had learned of “statements of concern” made by a student when another student notified administrators. Police were notified immediately, he wrote.

“As in all matters, the safety and well-being of all students is our primary focus,” Beals wrote.

A parent who contacted The Telegraph on Thursday morning said she had been notified by school officials about her child’s name being included on a “hit list” of some kind.

Lavoie said in a statement that the school had disciplined the student and that more charges may be filed when police finish their investigation.

“The specifics regarding the investigation will not be released at this time as this is an ongoing investigation,” Lavoie wrote.

Lane said district officials contacted Hudson police and that both groups are still investigating.

Only the parents of the students involved were notified about the messages and investigation.

Lane said he could only release very limited information because of rules around student confidentiality and that providing a safe environment is his top priority.

“The safety and wellbeing of our students is always our number one concern,” he said. “The safety of the students is our number one priority.”

Lavoie declined further comment citing the ongoing investigation.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or jcote@nashua
telegraph.com. Also, follow Cote on Twitter (@Telegraph_JoeC).