Thursday, July 31, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;79.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/bkn.png;2014-07-31 19:39:39
Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mom accused of killing son still in jail despite bail reduction; boy’s dad requests no contact order

NASHUA – The Nashua woman charged with hitting and killing her 2-year-old son is still in jail despite her bail being lowered last week.

Unique Gould is charged with killing her son, Devon Gould Parr, in April. Court records also show the boy’s father requested that a no-contact order be part of Gould’s new bail conditions. ...

Sign up to continue

Print subscriber?    Sign up for Full Access!

Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.

Digital subscribers receive

  • Unlimited access to all stories from nashuatelegraph.com on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Access nashuatelegraph.com, view our digital edition or use our Full Access apps.
  • Get more information at nashuatelegraph.com/fullaccess
Sign up or Login

NASHUA – The Nashua woman charged with hitting and killing her 2-year-old son is still in jail despite her bail being lowered last week.

Unique Gould is charged with killing her son, Devon Gould Parr, in April. Court records also show the boy’s father requested that a no-contact order be part of Gould’s new bail conditions.

Gould, 21, formerly of 8 Ash St., still was incarcerated at Valley Street jail in Manchester on Tuesday afternoon, according to the jail. Hillsborough County Superior Court Judge Kathleen McGuire lowered Gould’s bail from $100,000 cash to $10,000 cash or surety last week.

The boy’s father, referred to as C.P. in court documents, contacted county prosecutors and requested that a no contact order be part of Gould’s lowered bail conditions to prevent her from “having contact with him through any means,” according to a motion filed by Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Catherine Devine.

Parr’s obituary names Christopher Parr, of Berlin, as the boy’s father.

The motion asks that Gould be barred from contacting the man in any way, including through third parties or social media and that she stay at least 100 feet away from him.

It’s not clear why Parr requested the no contact order.

Devine was not immediately available for comment.

Gould is facing seven separate counts, including manslaughter after the May 12 death of her son. She was indicted in July.

The surety bail means a bail bondsman can post the bail for Gould for a fee, usually about 10 percent of the bail amount, meaning Gould could be released if she posts about $1,000.

Public defender Anthony Sculimbrene said Gould is not a flight risk and is willing to wear an ankle monitor or abide by house arrest restrictions. Her family, several of whom were in the courtroom Thursday, has agreed to take her in while she waits for trial.

“I will tell the court her family is incredibly engaged in this case,” Sculimbrene said.

Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Karinne Brobst argued Gould is a danger to the community and, while family members may have been in court, her son was not.

“She has no reason to stay, given what she’s done,” Brobst said.

Sculimbrene compared Gould’s case to Nicole Belonga and Melissa Gutierrez, both of whom were released on bail after being charged, and later convicted, of killing their young children.

Gould, who has been in jail since her May 12 arrest, is charged with manslaughter, first-degree assault and three counts of second-degree assault, all of which carry 10- to 20-year prison terms.

She also faces two misdemeanor counts of endangering the welfare of a child.

Nashua police said in May that Gould admitted to striking her son on the buttocks and the head on April 25.

The boy survived in the hospital until he was taken off a respirator on May 10.

The assault charges allege that Gould struck the boy in the head, face and both sides of his buttocks.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or jcote@nashua
telegraph.com. Also, follow Cote on Twitter (@Telegraph_JoeC).