Nashua’s ‘Night Out’ cancelled
NASHUA – For the first time in three decades, Nashua will not have a localized version of the "National Night Out" in the city’s neighborhoods.
Following a series of violent thunderstorms last Tuesday when the 32nd annual event was scheduled, organizers decided to cancel the activities for the 2015 calendar year. Several smaller events to promote crime and drug prevention programs in Greater Nashua, have been set up to ensure the message is broadcast to the community.
"We decided we’re going to pass on it this year," said Ed Lecius, the community policing coordinator with the Nashua Police Department.
"Between schedules here and with a couple of our prime partners in this, we just couldn’t find a date that was workable that would allow us to do it right, and so we’ve put it on the shelf for this year," he added. "We’ll start building from what we’re going to do this year for next year and make 2016 bigger and better."
National Night Out here traditionally features an evening of family-friendly activities to engage Nashua residents with crime-stopping efforts and looks to strengthen community spirit. Some of the programs slated for the event last week will be held on Friday beginning around noon at the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Nashua, while other events will take place at the Nashua Police Athletic League facility on Ash Street and Saturday’s "Touch-A-Truck," beginning at 10 a.m. at the Nashua Airport on Perimeter Road.
Lecius said it was disappointing to not have the event this year given its longstanding presence in the city. The event began in the early 1980s when police encouraged residents to keep their porch lights overnight, later including a well-attended march from the French Hill district to Ash Street before moving the events to the Boys & Girls Club several years ago.
"We’ve been doing it for 32 years in some shape or form up until this year," he said.
Chris Garofolo can be reached at 594-6465, email@example.com or @Telegraph_Chris.