Wednesday, October 22, 2014
My Account  | Login
Nashua;48.0;http://forecast.weather.gov/images/wtf/small/novc.png;2014-10-22 22:57:33
img
What a great logo, for the American Meteorological Society.
Saturday, January 5, 2013

2012 sets record in Nashua for mild temperatures

Doug Webster of Hudson, like many meteorologists, thinks concerns about a warming planet are exaggerated and that we're over-reacting to natural variation in weather. But he's a good scientist and doesn't shy away from data that lends credence to other arguments. Consider this, from his monthly weather column in The Telegraph today:

The mild December helped establish a record mild annual temperature for Nashua. The average temperature during 2012 was 51.3 degrees, 1.1 degrees warmer than 2010 and 3.8 degrees above normal. The majority of the warmth last year was because of January through May, after which temperatures were closer to normal.

Those of us, like me, who believe that climate change, caused in large part by human activity, is a despressingly proven fact will nod our heads and say "See? I'm right!" Doug is not convinced!

Here's his column.

Last summer, by the way, the American Meteorological Society issued a statement indicating that despite the opinion of many meteorologists, "There is unequivocal evidence that Earth’s lower atmosphere, ocean, and land surface are warming; sea "level is rising; and snow cover, mountain glaciers, and Arctic sea ice are shrinking. ... The dominant cause of the warming since the 1950s is human activities. This scientific finding is based on a large and persuasive body of research. The observed warming will be irreversible for many years into the future, and even larger temperature increases will occur as greenhouse gases continue to accumulate in the atmosphere."

Here's the statement.