Hearing continued in alleged teen sex solicitation case

File photo Jean Yazbek, 63, of Norwood, Mass.

NASHUA – Now that an indictment has been handed up against Jean Yazbek, the 63-year-old Massachusetts man accused of soliciting sex from a person he thought was a 15-year-old girl, a Superior Court hearing has been tentatively set for February as federal officials consider whether to prosecute the case.

Yazbek, of Norwood, is one of two men Nashua police arrested about 90 minutes apart the afternoon of Oct. 8, after they allegedly came to Nashua to meet the girl – who turned out to be a Nashua police detective, according to police reports.

Yazbek and Michael Soby, 59, of Pelham, are each charged with one count of certain use of computer services prohibited, Class B felonies that accuse them of using social media sites to contact and arrange to meet up with who they thought was a teenage girl, allegedly for the purposes of having sex.

The men were booked after their Oct. 8 arrests, and later freed on $500 bail each as their cases proceed in court.

According to recently-filed documents in Yazbek’s case, prosecutors and Yazbek’s attorney, Richard Guerriero, agreed to continue last week’s dispositional conference to Feb. 5 to give representatives of the U.S. Attorney’s office more time to investigate and decide whether to take the case.

Information on the status of Soby’s case wasn’t immediately available.

Police in their reports said detectives occasionally go onto various social media sites as part of their ongoing “attempts to interdict the sexual exploitation of children on the Internet,” they wrote.

In Yazbek’s case, a detective communicated back and forth with him over several days, posing as a 15-year-old girl who eventually agreed to meet Yazbek at a certain time at a downtown Nashua restaurant.

Yazbek showed up, but rather than meeting the teen, met several police officers who promptly took him into custody, police said.

Having booked a hotel room in which police, after securing a search warrant, found a cell phone and accessories, girls’ undergarments, lingerie, shaving equipment and condoms – and a teddy bear that, police said, “the girl” had allgedly asked Yazbek to bring.

Yazbek, in a post-arrest interview, “made full admissions to arriving in Nashua,” checking in at the hotel and using his GPS to find the downtown meeting place, police said.

“But despite all of this evidence,” he allegedly told police “his intention was not to have sexual intercourse with her,” police stated.

Dean Shalhoup can be reached at 594-1256, dshalhoup@nashuatelegraph.com or @Telegraph_DeanS.